The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 16th, 2024, 6:00am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LNA voltage gain measurement method (Read 6158 times)
wccheng

LNA voltage gain measurement method
Feb 15th, 2007, 6:20am

Dear all,

I know I could use Network analyzer to measure power gain (S21) of the LNA. If I want to measure the voltage gain of the LNA, how could I do it? Actually, I am using AC analysis in the simulation to see the voltage gain of the LNA. Is it correct?

Thanks

wccheng

View Profile   IP Logged
mg777

Re: LNA voltage gain measurement method
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2007, 11:07pm

You can easily convert from S to Y or Z, and obtain the voltage gain for given source and load impedances. If you are new to a network analyzer you may want to consult Agilent's app notes on de-embedding the signal connections for board as well as on-wafer measurements.

In simulation AC analysis should be adequate, but expecting the simulation to match measurement depends on how good your modeling is. Especially the supply bypass.

M.G.Rajan
www.eecalc.com

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2007, 7:29am

Unfortunately, using a network analyzer also means you have a 50 ohm load. As far as a i know you need to design a buffer with known gain, high input impedance and 50 ohm output impedance. At RF that's pretty tough to do.

-Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
mg777

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2007, 10:20am

If the cal is good the 50 Ohm load can be de-embedded, provided the amplifier is stable for the VNA set-up. That's the measurement part of it - the design is a different issue.

What is the sensitivity to an s22 cal error of δ? Assuming δ is real, then Zo is off by a fraction 2δ. The corresponding error in voltage gain would be (1 + 2.δ)(1 - 2.δ.Zo/RL). If the s22 cal is good for 30 dB (δ=0.03) the error in voltage gain for RL=250Ω is below 2%. A 30 dB on-wafer cal can be achieved out to 10 GHz even with an archaic SOLT substrate once the cables have warmed up.

M.G.Rajan
www.eecalc.com

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2007, 10:21pm

That was an excellent first pass analysis. For the actual voltage gain you'd have to find Zout using S22 and use the resistor divider concept to get the voltage gain.

I'm wondering though if you want to do noise measurements, how well de-embedded will the 50 ohm output port be after cal?

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.