The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 17th, 2024, 4:20pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Relation between DNL,resistive ladder mismatch... (Read 4670 times)
Vabzter

Sweden
Relation between DNL,resistive ladder mismatch...
Feb 16th, 2007, 6:44am

Hello everyone,
                      I trying to find a relation between DNL and elemental mismatch for a resistive ladder dac. I know that the worst case DNL is when the ladder position is at the end. In my case there are 2 ladders..
                      I have got a relation between INL and mismatch but dont know how to go about finding a relation between DNL and elemental mismatch..
                      Any help or reference material which I can use..
Thanks a lot in advance
BR
Vabzter

View Profile   IP Logged
panditabupesh
Community Member

Toronto
Re: Relation between DNL,resistive ladder mismatch
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2007, 7:36am

Hello
Razavi in 'Principles of Data Conversion System Design', chap 4, has given a bunch of relations relating DNL with resistance mismatch.

Bupesh

View Profile   IP Logged
Vabzter

Sweden
Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2007, 8:01am

panditabupesh wrote on Feb 16th, 2007, 7:36am:
Hello
Razavi in 'Principles of Data Conversion System Design', chap 4, has given a bunch of relations relating DNL with resistance mismatch.

Bupesh

Hi Bhupesh
                Yup I have gone through them. What I am looking for is relation between σ and DNL. In those relations he has derived that the max DNL is at the 2 ends and max INL is in the middle position of the ladder. I want the relation to size the resistive ladder in dac
Thanks
BR
Vabzter

View Profile   IP Logged
panditabupesh
Community Member

Toronto
Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2007, 11:40am

This is from the JSSC paper, " A 10-bit 5-Msample/s ...." by Doernberg, Gray, and Hodges- relationship (6)

(sigmaR)/R = 2^[(n-1)/(2-N)].
Now sigmaR/R = r_alpha/sqrt(WL); r_alpha is the mismatch parameter supplied by the foundry.

Am I missing something?

Bupesh

View Profile   IP Logged
Vabzter

Sweden
Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2007, 11:08pm

panditabupesh wrote on Feb 16th, 2007, 11:40am:
This is from the JSSC paper, " A 10-bit 5-Msample/s ...." by Doernberg, Gray, and Hodges- relationship (6)

Now sigmaR/R = r_alpha/sqrt(WL); r_alpha is the mismatch parameter supplied by the foundry.

Am I missing something?

Bupesh

Hi Bupesh,
                  Yup the above equation is right. I have also got the value of r_alpha from the reference manual from the foundry. The question is I am designing a 10 bit ladder DAC and I want to derive a relation between the DNL and mismatch.Then by using the above equation I can size the resistance values. Like for INL I found this relation from Berkeley site for the leactures on Data converters(references are not mentioned on the leacture slides...)..
B = 2 + 2log2(σ_inl / σ_mis)  .......(log2 = log to base 2, B=no. of bits)

So in the similar manner I want to find a relation between DNL and mismatch..

Thanks for your help
BR
Vabzter

View Profile   IP Logged
Vabzter

Sweden
Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2007, 12:50am

panditabupesh wrote on Feb 16th, 2007, 11:40am:

Am I missing something?

Bupesh

Hi Bupesh
              One more question..In the above formula n = Resolution in bits and n = linearity in no. of bits..So what is the relation between them?
Thanks
BR
Vabzter

View Profile   IP Logged
panditabupesh
Community Member

Toronto
Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2007, 8:22am

Hello
Though the paper uses terms like  precision and linearity for N, but I think it means same as accuracy. For example let us consider an 8-bit  two-step  (or subranging)  ADC, and we  are extracting 4-bit MSBs and 4-LSBs in two steps. Without digital-error correction, even though we are extracting only 4-bit MSBs (resolution n= 4)   the DAC ( a resistance ladder etc )  involved will need to be 8-bit accurate (linearity N = 8). But, for a single-step 8-bit ADC, e.g flash, the resolution and accuracy will be same and equal to 8-bits.

Johns & Martin spend a couple of pages, section 13.5, on this topic.

bye
Bupesh

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.