The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 11:16am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bizzare Behavior from vpulse (Read 1051 times)
gloopydew

Utah
Bizzare Behavior from vpulse
Feb 22nd, 2007, 10:58am

I have a simulation that uses the vpulse source from Cadence's analogLib as a 20 MHz clock.  The simulation runs for some time and then the output of the vpulse source goes nuts.  No current sources used in the simulation.  What causes this to happen?

vpulse_3.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Bizzare Behavior from vpulse
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2007, 11:30am

What simulator are you using? That's fairly important information...

Also, what version of the simulator are you using?

I can't think of any reason why spectre would do this, for example. spectre will put a breakpoint at each point in the pulse source.

Can you post the line in the netlist representing the pulse source? That may give some clues.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
gloopydew

Utah
Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:36pm

Sorry, new here.  I am using Spectre 5.1.41 to simulate.  Line with pulse generator is as follows:

V4 (SYSCLK AVSS) vsource type=pulse val0=0.0 val1=VDD period=50n delay=12u \
rise=1n fall=1n width=25n

The simulation will be okay until somewhere between 60us and 120us when the output of the pulse generator goes whacko.  I have never seen this before, and don't know what could cause it.

View Profile   IP Logged
byang
Community Member

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2007, 2:05pm

All simulators try to put break points. Usually this kind of behavior suggests a bug in the simulator, likely in double-precision number comparison. I know for sure that academic simulators such as Spice3 has this kind of problem. Hard to imagine Spectre still has this kind of problem.

byang

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2007, 2:41pm

I believe this could occur if Spectre believes that the output waveform is insignificantly small. That would only occur if your circuit is unstable and some voltage is shooting off to infinity. You can set the option diagnose=yes to get Spectre to report on this. If you do have a voltage that is very large (would probably have to be larger than 1kV with normal tolerances), then you should probably fix your circuit or models, or switch to using relref=alllocal.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.