The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Oct 6th, 2024, 1:18pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dies Per Wafer Formula (Read 5116 times)
qiushidaren
Community Member

I am a lovely
MOSFET!

Chengdu
Dies Per Wafer Formula
Mar 01st, 2007, 12:49am

Hi all,

In Rabaey’s book <<Digital Integrated Circuits-A Design Perspective>>, he gives us a formula for evaluating the dies per warfer, which is dies per wafer = [π*(waferdiameter/2)^2]/die area – (π*waferdiameter)/sqrt(2*die area), I wanna know where is the second term (π*waferdiameter)/sqrt(2*die area) derived from? Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Terry

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: Dies Per Wafer Formula
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2007, 2:04am

i guess it must be the circumference of the wafer (probably doesn't account for the slot though...) where you cannot fit in a full die.

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2007, 2:06am

oh, and its derived by dividing the circumference by the die diagonal, to give you the number of "uncomplete" die.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2007, 4:57am

That's a fairly reasonable first order approximation. Of course, most of the time the actual die placement on the mask (and the corresponding stepper information for when the reticles are stepped) will be optimised to maximise the number of dies. That equation obviously doesn't take into account the wafer flat, or the ring around the edge which can't be used (in some cases), nor if you have test dies on the wafer, and of course the die size needs to include the scribe - you don't necessarily know how big the scribe is up front because it will depend on how many test structures need to be put in the scribe, but normally it is kept to be as small as possible to maximise the utilised area of the wafer.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.