The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 28th, 2024, 2:23am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
switch vs diode in buck converter (Read 6507 times)
tg

switch vs diode in buck converter
Mar 08th, 2007, 5:43am

Hi,
My question relates to dcm in buck converter.
I know that a buck converter with a diode (connected between inductor and ground) would operate in dcm when inductors current become zero.
A switch (paralleled to diode) would allow such negative cuurent to flow to the ground.
If thats correct, this buck will operate in ccm regardless load resistance. (Am I right so far?)
I saw a design that does not allow such negative curent by diconnecting the switch when inductor`s current reaches zero (A diode is paralled to the switch). This way a dcm mode is forced. Why would anyone like to force dcm?
Please correct me if I'm wrong...
Thanx.

View Profile   IP Logged
Matthieu

Re: switch vs diode in buck converter
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2007, 7:26am

Hi tg,

You are right in all you said. We would like to force DCM mode under light load conditions. The goal is to improve efficiency of DCDC converter. As soon as current begins to invert in NMOS transistor (flow to ground instead of from ground), efficiency begins to decrease in CCM mode.

In CCM mode D=Vout/Vin (D duty cycle). If you have a very ligth load, as DeltaI in inductor (Delta of current in inductor between NMOS and PMOS commutation) is always the same whichever load current you choose (in first approximation), Current have to go below zero.

As a good drawing is better than a long text, I have drawn inductor current in three cases for Vout=Vin/4:
- CCM, high load.
- CCM, light load.
- DCM, light load.

I hope this answer your question...

Matthieu

View Profile   IP Logged
tg

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2007, 11:16am

Thanx Matthieu, thats answer my question (without seeing any drawing  ;))

View Profile   IP Logged
Matthieu

Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2007, 7:09am

Yes, I should have forgotten to attach the file  8-)

If you want, maxim-ic website has a lot of interesting and hand on information about DCDC converters.
(http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/2031/ for example)

Matthieu

dcm_ccm_efficiency.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.