The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 27th, 2024, 9:33pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noise problem in a buck DCDC (Read 52 times)
Matthieu

Noise problem in a buck DCDC
Mar 13th, 2007, 7:53am

Hi all,

I am currently fixing (Designer have left the company and that the first time I am working on a Buck dcdc) an integrated buck DCDC converter (voltage mode). Silicon DCDC oscillates in some cases. I have been able to reproduce thoses oscillations in simulations but I don't know the solution to apply (I can do a full fix). The problem on silicon is ground noise inside the circuit due to parasitic resistance on ground (DCDC can just operates in CCM mode). When switching from NMOS to PMOS, internal ground goes up or down of ~10-20 mV. This is critical at the level of error amplifier:

1- Internal ground goes down of 20mV.
2- Bandgap voltage goes down following internal ground.
3- Feedback voltage remains constant because it is referenced to outside ground.
4- Difference between Feedback and bandgap generates error to abruptly reach 0.
5- Error cross ramp at this instant and makes DCDC switch.

As anyone experienced same types of problems?

I have tried to sample/hold both bandgap and feedback but it generates too much lag in the loop. Do you have any idea how such problem can be solved?

Thank you

Matthieu

View Profile   IP Logged
Matthieu

Re: Noise problem in a buck DCDC
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2007, 2:00am

For information, I think I have found the solution by limiting error amplifier bandwidth (cut-off Fs/2 in closed loop).

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.