The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 11:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Real clock coupling? (Read 1697 times)
cyun

Real clock coupling?
Mar 22nd, 2007, 12:28am

Dear all,
I found a very strange problem in TRAN simulation.  
My test bench includes a port for input, pure rf/analog circuits, digital circuits, and a clock for the digital circuit (realized by an ideal vpulse voltage source).
After simulation, I found the clock appears at the output spectrum.
Then I remove the digital circuit. Now only a port, rf/analog circuits, and a floating clock in the test bench (negative port of clock is connected to ideal gnd).
The clock still appears with almost the same maganitude.
It's very strange! The clock doesn't connection to any node, just co-simulation with other circuits. How can it couple to output?
I use "spectre" to simulate and the accuracy is set to "liberal" .  
The clock maganitude will reduce if the accuracy set to "conservative", but still appear.

It seems the coupling from software calculation.  Am I right?
If yes, how to reduce the effect in "liberal" simulation?

View Profile   IP Logged
mg777

Re: Real clock coupling?
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2007, 10:25am

Check if the clock is sneaking in via a behavioral model on the analog side - maybe an ADC.

Also make sure the clock strength you're seeing is at a reasonable level, e.g; greater than -80 dBc. For example inverting an ill conditioned matrix can cause 'numerical noise'. As a guide, 32 bit accuracy is -192 dB.

M.G.Rajan
www.eecalc.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.