The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Oct 3rd, 2024, 3:26am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Common Mode Feedback (Read 2761 times)
lnarayan

Common Mode Feedback
Mar 26th, 2007, 8:17pm

Hi All,
Greetings to every one on board. I'm a new member here and this is my first Post.
Could anyone tell me the need for Common Mode Feedback(CMFB) circuit in fully differential op-amps and how they are realised? I went through a few books and articles and I still find the concept very elusive . If anyone could explain the CMFB concept in an understandable manner, it would greatly help.
Thanks in advance
--lnarayan

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who know binary and those who don't.
View Profile   IP Logged
SATurn
Community Member

Re: Common Mode Feedback
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2007, 12:23pm

Hello,

Actually, the concept of CMFB is very simple. You are just going to set the CM value of two differential high impedance nodes on desired value. If you have not such a feedback, the CM value could have any value and even stick to one of the supplies or put the devices on an undesired regime. The main reason is that it is very difficult to make sure that bias current of PMOS devices is the same as NMOS devices.

You can for a more complete discussion have a look on B. Razavi's book (Analog CMOS Design).

SATurn

View Profile   IP Logged
lnarayan

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2007, 8:09am

Hi,
Thanx a ton. The explanation in Razavi's book was amazing. It was very helpful.
thanks again
--lnarayan

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who know binary and those who don't.
View Profile   IP Logged
mc66

Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2007, 7:20am

one node output,you connect one load transistor gate and drain together,that sure the mos work in right region

but tow node output,you need do something to sure all mos work in right region,that's why we nedd CMFB

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.