The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 6:33pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
jitter due to filter leak (Read 3964 times)
Pravinkumar

Bangalore
jitter due to filter leak
Apr 02nd, 2007, 8:43pm

Hi,
In specs of PLL, am trying the calculate the contribution of the filter leakage current to the overall jitter.
With filter leak current in hand will this formulae,
                                    leakage current * 10 * (1/minimum reference clock frequency)
yield me the jitter value due to this leakage current?
If somebody has come across this sort of calc before, putforth your suggestions please.

View Profile   IP Logged
mg777

Re: jitter due to filter leak
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2007, 4:21am

By dimensional analysis you're missing a current in the denominator, and the only current in the problem is the charge pump source. I can't see any reason for the 10.

Do PLL designs these days still use an external cap?

M.G.Rajan

View Profile   IP Logged
Pravinkumar

Bangalore
Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2007, 3:58am

Thanks for replying rajan.

Yes, i know there is a big flaw in terms of the dimensions. But this emperical formula is what is suggested. May be i guess i have to divide this term by the capacitor value through that path.
And I dint get ur question on PLL design!!

View Profile   IP Logged
joel
Community Member

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2007, 4:09pm

Every PLL I've designed or worked on this millenium  has had an internal cap.  Usually (always, I think) gate-cap of a native NFET, from 50pF to 2nF (that one was called the 'solar panel').

Actuall leakage is typically very small.  I've watched the frequency remain roughly constant for seconds after the PFD/qpump is turned off.

If leakage is present, the loop has to correct for it.  So the amount of leakage-induced jitter will be a function of the loop bandwidth, the filter-cap size, the VCO gain. Leakage will lower the control voltage by whatever charge it drains off the filter-cap between up/dwn pulses.  Bigger cap, less delta-V.  Lower K0, less delta-F.  Higher bandwidth, less time for leakage to discharge the filter cap, less delta-V.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.