The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 2:39am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
layout automatically from schematics (Read 4015 times)
golden_falcon10

layout automatically from schematics
Apr 04th, 2007, 7:44am

Hi,
can help me and explain how i generate layout automatically from schematics and add pads also auto route the design using cadence tool the design technology is UMC 0.13um Design Kit, is there any document to send please.
note:the designs are Analog and RF

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Re: layout automatically from schematics
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2007, 12:29pm

As far as I know analog and RF layout its at the "old style" i.e you do it yourself, at least is what we do at my design group, all the analog/RF circuits are full-custom, VLSI people has acces to standard cells and autorouting; also think that in RF design you are working at high frequency so the layout its usually a critical part of the design and its necessary to do it carefully. As a starting point I will recommend you a book about analog layout:"The art of analog layout",Alan Hastings, Prentice Hall.
Good luck with your design.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2007, 3:01pm

yes, most analog/RF layout is still hand crafted, but with varying amounts of "automatic" assistance. In any case in any analog/RF circuit runs the risk of NOT working as expected if the impact of the physical layout in not included in analysis/simulation.

Anyway, the most "automatic" analog/RF layout tools out there run on constraints given by the schematic designer. Then based on these constraints it will auto-route and auto-place components. Examples of this type of tool was NeoCell (which was bought by cadence... so i don't know what its called now).

The next level down is layout with the use of Pcells (parameterised cells) which is where process library components have parameterised layout views which can be linked to the schematics. The placement and routing can be semi-automatic. This is currently the most popular method of analog/RF layout.

The lowest level is to draw mask layers by hand. This is rarely used on the whole, but is still useful for those bespoke devices you may want to create.

cheers
aw
PS. golden_falcon10, please don't double post on more than one board... doing so means threads can be difficult to follow....

View Profile   IP Logged
krishnap
Community Member

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2007, 6:14am

virtuoso-XL and   CCAR( earlier name IC craftsman) helps to automate the layout to some extent.
Imporatnt and sensitive  routings are manually routed  and rest of the routing can be automated.
This increases the speed of mixed signal layout execution.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.