The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 21st, 2024, 1:24am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
using spectre to build the pll behavioral model (Read 2849 times)
calven

using spectre to build the pll behavioral model
Apr 07th, 2007, 9:01am

hi!
should i build the models of basic cells such as vco using verilog_a or verilogams if i use spectre to build the pll mode?i find that these cells are offered  in the libs such as functional,ahdl and rfLib bu virtuso, can these cells not fully describe the characters of real cells?
thanks a lot!

View Profile   IP Logged
sheldon
Community Fellow

Re: using spectre to build the pll behavioral mode
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2007, 8:18pm

Calven,

If you are going to build a PLL model for Spectre, then the models need to written
in Verilog-A. AMS Designer supports Verilog-AMS. There are some model templates,
on this site under the Verilog-AMS link

http://www.designers-guide.org/VerilogAMS/

There is a lot of information about PLL modeling under the Analysis link including

http://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/PLLnoise+jitter.pdf

Ken's classic paper of behavioral modeling of PLLs. One other library that may be useful
in the Cadence libraries is bmslib it contains Verilog-A primitives for logic gates that can
be used to create Phase/Frequency Detectors.

Best Regards,

Sheldon

View Profile   IP Logged
calven

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2007, 9:21pm

thanks a lot!
what is the difference between Verilog-A and VerilogAMS?which one should i choose?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2007, 3:52am

Verilog-A is the "analog only" subset of Verilog-AMS, which is a full analog and mixed-signal language and includes (in principle) everything from IEEE 1364 Verilog.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.