The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Oct 1st, 2024, 3:29pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how about digital PLL? (Read 5876 times)
sapphire
Community Member

how about digital PLL?
Apr 09th, 2007, 4:35pm

The said digital PLL consists of digital controlled oscillator, time to digital converter, and digital filter, and  so on.

TI proposed this concept in 2005.

Is this a good topic for PHD thesis?  What can be exployed then?  Confused....

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
adesign
Community Member

Re: how about digital PLL?
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2007, 8:40pm

Jitter is the major issue with Digital PLL. You can research on "Controlling jitter in DPLL"

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2007, 2:39am

sapphire wrote on Apr 9th, 2007, 4:35pm:
The said digital PLL consists of digital controlled oscillator, time to digital converter, and digital filter, and  so on.

TI proposed this concept in 2005.

Is this a good topic for PHD thesis?  What can be exployed then?  Confused....

Thanks

Hi sapphire,

I am not sure if you are quite accurate with the dates and the inventors. I believe that the first ones to propose this were Motorala and they did this sometime in the early 90s or late 80s. I know this because I myself have used the concept and designed a digital PLL consisting of a digitally controlled oscillator and digital filters (no cap, charge-pump based filters) way back in 2000. And at that time, the Motorola paper was the reference. However, I don't remember exactly who wrote it. I will check and see if I can find it.

As for PhD topic, that depends on what kind of improvements you propose to bring into the field.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
hyy95

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2007, 4:36pm

DPLL is too easy to do, the algorithm in C can be done in less than 200 lines,  and logic codes in verilog can be done in less than 2000 lines. I don't know why u want to do it as a PHD thesis since it's just a basic buiding block for a digital receiver. doing so is like designing a opamp  as a PHD thesis.

View Profile   IP Logged
fonseca.ha

UK
Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2007, 11:34am

hyy95 wrote on Apr 11th, 2007, 4:36pm:
DPLL is too easy to do, the algorithm in C can be done in less than 200 lines,  and logic codes in verilog can be done in less than 2000 lines. I don't know why u want to do it as a PHD thesis since it's just a basic buiding block for a digital receiver. doing so is like designing a opamp  as a PHD thesis.

I totally disagree that a Digital PLL is not a good topic for phD thesis. there are many things to be investigated.
Sure you can make a Digital PLL with a few lines, like you can make an opamp with 7 transistors, but what frequency? what jitter? what bandwidth? can it compete with an analog PLL for performance? What about Digital PLLs for RF?

Noadays, to my knowladge, for example the time to digital conversion in a DPLL has a resolution comparable to the performance of an analog PLL. can you investigate how to make it better?

What about this, can you arrange a digital core that can make the BW of the transfer function from the Digital VCO to the output as high as possible while mantaining the BW of the transfer function from input to the output as low as possisble, sop that the DPLL can clean both its Digital VCO and its Input?

Regards,
H.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2007, 8:44pm

Key thing of thesis research:

It has to be new
It has to go someplace never gone before
It has to be something your thesis advisor and thesis committee are interested in and receptive to.

Read the last requirement very very very carefully.

academic survival 101: give them what they want to hear.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
hyy95

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2007, 10:37pm

maybe we are not talking about the same topic.
I am not talking about DPLL used for analog or RF ckts, I am talking about the digital phase lock loop in a digital receiver. So there's no digital VCO for any analog/RF use. All the performance bottle neck comes from the ADC, after the ADC, everything is digital, running on a free-running clock. Digital phased lock loop is used to track carrier offset, there are lots of algorithms to improve the performance,  but comparing to other part in the digital receiver, such as channel equalization, the DPLL is much easier.
the idea of soft radio is move ADC up as high as possible, and after ADC, everything is done in the digital world.

fonseca.ha wrote on Apr 12th, 2007, 11:34am:

I totally disagree that a Digital PLL is not a good topic for phD thesis. there are many things to be investigated.
Sure you can make a Digital PLL with a few lines, like you can make an opamp with 7 transistors, but what frequency? what jitter? what bandwidth? can it compete with an analog PLL for performance? What about Digital PLLs for RF?

Noadays, to my knowladge, for example the time to digital conversion in a DPLL has a resolution comparable to the performance of an analog PLL. can you investigate how to make it better?

What about this, can you arrange a digital core that can make the BW of the transfer function from the Digital VCO to the output as high as possible while mantaining the BW of the transfer function from input to the output as low as possisble, sop that the DPLL can clean both its Digital VCO and its Input?

Regards,
H.

View Profile   IP Logged
buckaroo

Tsinghua Univ. PRC
Reply #7 - Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:02am

hello
   i will work on DPLL, however, i know little about it at present, i want to be an expert on the project, haha:)
i think DPLL has a bright torrow
hyy95 wrote on Apr 13th, 2007, 10:37pm:
maybe we are not talking about the same topic.
I am not talking about DPLL used for analog or RF ckts, I am talking about the digital phase lock loop in a digital receiver. So there's no digital VCO for any analog/RF use. All the performance bottle neck comes from the ADC, after the ADC, everything is digital, running on a free-running clock. Digital phased lock loop is used to track carrier offset, there are lots of algorithms to improve the performance,  but comparing to other part in the digital receiver, such as channel equalization, the DPLL is much easier.
the idea of soft radio is move ADC up as high as possible, and after ADC, everything is done in the digital world.

fonseca.ha wrote on Apr 12th, 2007, 11:34am:

Regards,
H.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.