The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 9:18pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mixer as Doubler (Read 9870 times)
psmon

Mixer as Doubler
Apr 20th, 2007, 7:31am

I'm using an active differential Gilbert cell mixer with a tuned load for frequency doubling. The two input ports of the mixer have the same signal. However at the output, i get a large up-converted signal swing at the '+' termainal  and a very small swing at the '-' terminal. The circuit is in CMOS and i simulated with Spectre. Aren't the amplitude of the outputs to be the same?

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Is it a  problem with the simulator or the transistor models? Or anyone has a physical explanation for this?

View Profile   IP Logged
James Bond
Community Member

Re: Mixer as Doubler
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2007, 2:39pm

If your have four switches, make sure two of them are turned on/off. Maybe in your case, the possitive output switch is turned on, but the negative output is in triode region.

View Profile   IP Logged
psmon

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2007, 6:21am

Thanks for your suggestion.

I tried driving the mixer harder with unreasonable large swing . It didn't help and in fact, the output swings became even more unbalanced. I also get the same unbalanced output swings when i use BJTs.

What can be the explanations? Or how can i simulate the gilbert mixer as doubler?

View Profile   IP Logged
James Bond
Community Member

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2007, 1:18am

The lo amplitude should be large enough to switch the switches, but not too large.  I have seen a similiar problem as you have , in my case  ,the load resistors are too large, and it limited the ouput swing, at the same time, one of my switches is in triode state. two of them are turned off, only one is turned on.  By the way, how do you know your switches are fully turned on/off.

In fact, your informations are not enough,  it's better to post your simulation schematic and curve.

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2007, 6:09am

I think because you are using exactly the same frequency, then its reasonable that the double dalance mixer has single-ended outputs which are unbalanced, depending on the exact phase delays of the two signals (lo tier and gm input). You can see the effect if you introduce phase delay between the tweo signals... assuming delays in "lo" or "rf" path are equal, the 45 deg error will give you balanced output on + and - outputs. Normally you get balanced + and - outputs when the mixer is driven with signals which are not EXACTLY the same.

What is important is that the doubler output (ie 2*freq) DIFFERENTIAL amplitude is correct, and this will be irrespective of lo or rf path delay

View Profile   IP Logged
BERBEREPHONE

Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2007, 2:14am

bonjour a tous, stp mes amis , j'ai une etude sur un mixer dual gate et j'ai pas encore compris son fonctionnement, donc s'il y a quelqu'un de vous qui y a deja fait ce type de mixer de l'expliquer ,
un autre probleme c'est comment je vais faire ou procede pour faire une adaptation de mixer
merci

View Profile   IP Logged
BERBEREPHONE

Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2007, 6:45pm

hello has all,
please I work on a subject of fine point technology: MIXER DUAL-GATE (two transistors cascodé) in 60Ghz  and I will like to understand his theory and how its functions, more I want to know in which area I must operate my transistors so that they function (NMOS-OL : switch and NMOS-RF: saturation or linear)???.

thus thank you has all and I a help of you waits.

View Profile   IP Logged
yang

Reply #7 - May 8th, 2007, 1:35am

Because this kind of frequency doubler is basic on the mixer theory, if the RF and LO signals are the same, the IF should contain DC offset. I think this is the reason why you get that result.

View Profile yang   IP Logged
chase.ng
Community Member

penang/malaysia
Reply #8 - May 20th, 2007, 5:31pm

Hi,

I agreed with yang and ACWWong. In fact if the mixer is a switching mixer with square wave LO and RF, the switching mixer will only work (i.e. as a frequency doubler with 50% duty cycle output) when the LO and RF has a quadrature relationship. It is easier to understand this intuitively by thinking your transistors as switches.

The Gilbert cell will work closer like a switching mixer as you increase your LO and RF input power and therefore will not help you by increasing the LO and RF power. So if you want a clean frequency doubler, it is best to have a phase shifter/quadrature generator before the mixer. Feeding it with in-phase LO and RF will not do.

Regards,
chase

Chase
View Profile chase.ng   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.