The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 30th, 2024, 12:17am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tail current source sizing  MI/SI vs. WI ??? (Read 5517 times)
eng
Community Member

USA
Tail current source sizing  MI/SI vs. WI ???
Apr 21st, 2007, 10:04am

Hi
I have a simple question. When you're designing a tail current source (i.e. for diff pair) with let's say 10uA.
Case1:
You select a gate voltage which will keep the FET in saturation& MI-SI. i.e. 550 mV will do it. that case transistor sizes will be small like 2u/400n

Case2:
You mirror that 10uA from an ideal current source with a current mirror and select transistors sizes big i.e. 40u/400n
In that case gate voltage may be aroung 380 mV. Still in saturation but probably around WI

Which case is more suitable for a tail current source OR the any other recommendation???

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
topquark
Community Member

Thames Valley, UK
Re: Tail current source sizing  MI/SI vs. WI
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2007, 1:44am

Hi,
My quick thoughts on this-
For a tail current source of diff-pair, you need a certain min common-mode voltage on the gate of the diff pair to keep the tail nMOS in saturation(even if it's at the edge).
Sometimes, this isn't possible(even weak inv.) and you have to settle for a resistor in its place.

But, if you have sufficient Vgs, then, you can design to put your MOS into weak, moderate or strong inversion. Check out : http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1168276093/4#4
But, that post talks about getting 'gm' in different levels of inversion.
Is there a similar correlation for 'ro' whwich is what is required of a tail current source?

View Profile   IP Logged
SATurn
Community Member

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2007, 3:25am

There is also another important issue. The matching in WI is so poor! So, it is preferred to bias the tail bias transistor in SI. If you have enough headroom (400-500 mV), you can use a cascade topology ...

SATurn

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Tail current source sizing  MI/SI vs. WI ???
Reply #3 - May 5th, 2007, 6:41pm

Hi,

you also want to have low gm in your tail current to minimize the noise contribution (go for SI). This is actually common mode noise and will be partly rejected due to the differential operation.

Also is the 400nm length fixed? If not you can consider increasing it for larger output resistance. This improves your common mode rejection.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #4 - May 7th, 2007, 4:18pm

As you make the device wider you will increase the common mode input range because you are lowering VDSat of the tail current source, but you probably already knew that.  

The main drawback hasn't been addressed: the tail node capacitance is increased, which increases AC distortion.  This is very apparent if you a put a voltage step into a single-ended opamp in voltage-follower configuration.  The rising edge of the output will be much faster  than the falling edge because the tail capacitance adds tail current for the upward edge, but subtracts it on the falling edge.  

The advice about noise (esp flicker) and mismatch in strong versus weak inversion is correct if you are changing the current to achieve these regions.  BUT..... increasing the width has no effect on flicker noise or mismatch because you are increasing the device area in addition to increasing Gm.  The effects cancel, until you get to WI.  Then Gm stays constant while in WI so flicker and mismatch actually improve.  So the wide WI current source actually matches better than the narrow SI current source.  Again, the reason is that you are making the device larger to achieve WI.

« Last Edit: May 7th, 2007, 6:51pm by RobG »  
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #5 - May 7th, 2007, 6:45pm

Hi RobG,

are you sure about the noise part? Actually i'm not so sure about the flicker noise, but for the thermal noise, gm/ID is larger in weak inversion. So i think the thermal noise should be higher.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #6 - May 7th, 2007, 6:49pm

aaron_do wrote on May 7th, 2007, 6:45pm:
Hi RobG,

are you sure about the noise part? Actually i'm not so sure about the flicker noise, but for the thermal noise, gm/ID is larger in weak inversion. So i think the thermal noise should be higher.

cheers,
Aaron

Aaron,
I think you are correct about the thermal noise increasing as W gets bigger.  Sorry about that.  

rg

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.