The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 1:05am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
understanding ESD report (Read 4085 times)
LL

California
understanding ESD report
Apr 22nd, 2007, 1:05am

Hello ESD guru's of the forum:

Before stating my questions, please allow me to setup the scenario:
My IO ring consists of multiple power segments with back2back diodes separating the VDD and VSS of each segment.  Each segment has at least one set of power pads (VDD and VSS).  The ESD structure of each power pad is two clamp diodes (gcNMOS and ggPMOS).  This gives a minimum of 4 clamps diodes per power segment.  The ESD structure of the IO pad falls into two catergory: (a) for analog the structures are gcNMOS and gcPMOS (b) for digital the ESD devices are part of the output driver with remaining unused devices connected s ggNMOS & ggPMOS.

An external failure analysis house performs the ESD test.  The signals are first divided into groups of power individually, gnd collectively, and IO individually.  Take the example of a ring with 2 set of power pins (VDD1, VDD2, GND1, and GND2) .  The test procedure would be as follow:
(1) +zap of all pins individually with reference to VDD1 --> check for failure
(2) -zap of all pins individually with reference to VDD1 --> check for failure
(3) +zap of all pins individually with reference to VDD2 --> check for failure
(4) -zap of all pins individually with reference to VDD2 --> check for failure
(5) +zap of all pins individually with reference to GND1+GND2 (all grounds collectively) --> check for failure
(6) -zap of all pins individually with reference to GND1+GND2 (all grounds collectively) --> check for failure
(7) +zap of all IO pin individually with reference to other IO pin individually --> check for failure
(8) -zap of all IO pin individually with reference to other IO pin individually --> check for failure

Failure is defined as high leakage and/or resistive short.

My questions:
(1) Given a test sequence, if a failure is discovered on a particular pin, does it really mean that pin failed under its own test? For example, take sequence #1 above and  a failure is reported on an IO pin (let's say signalA).  Did signalA failed when signalA was zap in reference to VDD1 or did it fail under another test (let's say VDD2 zapped in reference to VDD1)?  I have a hard picturing this.  My though is that signalA could have failed in any of the zap during the sequence.  Can someone please clear this up for me?
(2) My IO ring has a special cell that is used in a few locations.  ESD report shows failure in multiple instances of this cell but not ALL of the instances failed ESD.  An IR scan shows the location of the failure and it somewhat makes sense.  However, what really puzzle me is why some instances of this cell passed ESD.  My though is that the cell is probably marginal and I should be really looking for weakness in the IO ring construction.  What do you think?

My experience with ESD failure analysis is low and that also means I might have left out key details in posting these questions.  Please ask and I will try to provide.

thanks in advance,
LL

View Profile   IP Logged
SRF Tech
Community Member

Arizona
Re: understanding ESD report
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2007, 4:42am

Hello LL,
   I can give you a few answers to your questions.

1.  You need to verify with your test house if they did pre-stress and post-stress curve traces for every stress.  If they did both curve traces properly for every stress, than a failure on an I/O pin is generally pretty obvious.  The curve trace prior to the stress on that particular pin would show that it is healthy, and then the pin/domain is stressed, and the post-stress curve trace shows it failed.  However, many test houses do not do full curve traces before and after each stress.  Some for instance will do an entire set of I/O stresses and then curve trace the pins, in which case, you are correct, you may not know what combination caused the failure.

One thing to remember, curve traces alone should never be the final criteria for failure.  In reality, the parts should pass a functional test pre-stressing, then the ESD stressing occurs and then the parts experience a second round of functional testing to ensure they passed.  Usually, if a part passes the curve traces, but fails functional, then you have to track down what pin combination caused the failure and this becomes a whole new nightmare.  If you are lucky though with your HBM testing , and the test were performed correctly, you should know exactly what pins stresses caused the failure.

I recommend White Mountain Labs as a test house because of their format in testing which helps avoid issues such as yours presented.
You can find a link to their website here: http://srftechnologies.com/Affiliations.html   (Full disclosure is that I do work with them a lot.)

2.  This situation is not at all uncommon.  It merely means that this cell is very marginal and that due to the nature and subtle variations of your different ESD networks, sometimes it fails and sometimes it passes.  What people tend to not remember is that ESD is literally 80% chip architecture and only 20% individual devices.  This is especially true in SoC's such as yours.

I hope this helps!

Stephen

Excellence in ESD and IO Design
www.srftechnologies.com
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
LL

California
Re: understanding ESD report
Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2007, 12:07am

Thank you Stephen for your insights.  My test house check the pins after each group of test (eg. check all pins for failure after the zapping pins in reference to VDD1).  You confirmed what I was having a hard time understanding.

Yes, I agree on the second comment.  The cell is marginal and hopefully I can push it over min requirement with some internal correction.

Again thanks for your insight.  I learn a lot from your posts in this forum.

regards,
LL

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.