The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 7:21pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DC Bias for RF amplifier (Read 3831 times)
yippee

DC Bias for RF amplifier
Apr 25th, 2007, 1:27pm

Hi All
i'm going to design a simple one stage RF amplifier with
input and output impedance matching. the output will be connected to
a 50 ohm antenna.
i should use a self bias circuit for DC bias.
my problem is the value of Rl(load resistor) for ac load line.
i want to know Rl to design for maximum sweeping.
please refer to the following picture ...
can u help me?!

View Profile   IP Logged
mg777

Re: DC Bias for RF amplifier
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2007, 6:13am

It depends on what 'RF' is with respect to your transistor's fmax. In most RF amplifiers the transistor reactances dominate the impedance matching, plus the matching network is usually narrowband with a Q < 10. So the load line won't be a pure resistance - it will swing around on the Smith chart.

Is this amplifier inside an IC, or is it external? If external you will be better off with a 25 cent part from one of the major vendors.

M.G.Rajan

View Profile   IP Logged
yippee

Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2007, 1:58pm

no, amplifier is not inside an IC i want to design it with a transistor(2SC2570) from NEC
the input of amplifier will be connected to antenna of a transmitter with less than 0.8 mW power
and in 433 Mhz.

and yes, thats right the load line is not a pure resistance but just consider a simple design.
in above circuit i just want determine the value for Rc & Re so the output wont be cut off.

View Profile   IP Logged
stewa203

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2007, 6:38am

I got this equation out of a book by Schubert and Kim.

Q = [(mdc/mac)*Vcc+C]/[1+mdc/mac]

mdc = slope of DC load line
mac =  slope of AC load line
C =  saturation voltage of the transistor

mdc = 1/[Rc +Re(beta+1)/beta]
mac = 1/Rc

Q then will give the 'best' Vce for low frequency approximations

If you don't want to do the math, a good rule of thumb says you should drop about a third in voltage between Re, Vce, and Rc each.

A couple of pointers on this application. You will probably need a high DC current in the transistor. This will help with linearity at higher powers (800mW = 29 dBm) which is a lot of power. I personally have not designed any power amps, which is what you are trying to do. Also, this amplifier configuration has a high output impedance compared to your low antenna impedance. You will need some sort of tuning network to match the amplifier to the antenna, otherwise you will have a horrible VSWR problem.

View Profile   IP Logged
stewa203

Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2007, 6:40am

My mistake, I thought I read .8W and not .8mw. You may not need as high as quiescent current as I originally thought. Everything else still applies though about the matching network though.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.