The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 17th, 2024, 4:25pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
return loss measurement (Read 1238 times)
smarty
Community Member

return loss measurement
Apr 25th, 2007, 9:44pm

Hi,
  I have just started working on high speed SerDes design and I am starting on the receiver supporting PCI-express 2.0 standards(5Gbps).
I am starting to understand the different spec and trying out simulations on them to improve my understanding.
There is a spec on receiver that it should meed a specified CMRL(common-mode return loss) and DRL(differential return loss).

I am simulating this in spectre to measure both. From my understanding, relating to return loss it is measured using the S11 parameter ( please correct me if I am wrong).

Can anybody suggest me as to how this can be done?

I provide a method I am trying out. Please provide your feedback on this.

1. I have my receiver end terminated to 50ohms.
2. I use the n-port from analog Lib and including the corresponding s-param file to model the package model.
3. I uses a PORT0 from analog Lib to provide my ideal input side voltage source with series resitance as 50ohms( source side resistance).
4. To measure differential RL I use to connect one line to one end of PORT and the other line to the another end of the PORT.

I then do an sp analysis  and measure the RL as db(s11).

Kindly provide your valuble feedbacks, whether this is a correct setup/method to measure return loss.

Thanks and Regards,
SBR

View Profile smarty smarty   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: return loss measurement
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2007, 11:27pm

Take a look at the papers on differential measurements in the Analysis section of this site.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
smarty
Community Member

Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2007, 1:21am

Hi Ken,
  Thanks for the information. I will look at the papers.

Regards,
SBR

smarty
Community Member

Reply #3 - May 14th, 2007, 11:07pm

Hi Ken,
  Could you pls clear me few things regarding the diferential circit testbanch pdf, it would be of much help.

1. I need to measure the common-mode return loss and Differential return loss  for PCI-e reciever from dc till 1.25Gz. In normal operation the
   input varies from +/-600mv from ground on both D+ and D-.

I would like to know to have a better understanding, using this setup how can that be measured.  I am dotting my understanding. correct me if you find my way different.

I would like to use the setup in fig4.

To measure, the input to be given are vdm=1.2;vcm=0;Rid=100ohms;Rcm=very high(10K).

One more is could we use the PORT cell from analogLib, and define input as a sine wave(freq:2.5GHz, amp:600mv, dc=0) and connect the port to a se2diff cell and use the output of that cell to the reciever input.

I am new in this field, and from what I have seen Return loss is measured by s11 parameter(20dB ofs11), by running a sp analysis in spectre.
If this is the case, how would I measure return loss for both these setup?. In your experience which would provide, a more realistic method.

Kindly help this out for me to have better understanding.

Thanks and Regards,
SBR

Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - May 15th, 2007, 9:29am

It seems like you are on the right track, though it is not clear why you would want to measure the common-mode return loss when the common-mode impedance is not controlled. Also, I don't know what se2diff is, so I cannot say whether its use is appropriate.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
smarty
Community Member

Reply #5 - May 17th, 2007, 5:33am

Ken,
  Thanks for your inputs.

Common-mode return loss is measured as a part of the PCIe specs.

Best Regards,
SBR

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.