The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 8:12pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Strange input pair in cascode OPAMP (Read 6335 times)
cchen

Strange input pair in cascode OPAMP
Apr 28th, 2007, 2:48am

The schematic of OPAMP was shown in the attached figure. Besides the main two input transistors, there are two extra cross-coupled transistors with smaller sizes. Does anyone know the function of them? It seems they will reduce Gm of OPAMP.

Thanks for your advice!

OPAMP.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Re: Strange input pair in cascode OPAMP
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2007, 7:16am

Those two NMOS devices clamp the output to increase the slew rate of the op amp.  You can see a discussion of their use in Johns and Martin.

Carl

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2007, 5:28pm

To expand on Carl's statement, they keep the cascode transistors biased up even when the opamp is slewing.  

Normally, during slewing, all of the current would be to one side, debiasing the cascode devices.  The cross coupled device steers some current back to the cascode device.

View Profile   IP Logged
eng
Community Member

USA
Reply #3 - May 5th, 2007, 9:56pm

I wonder if this cross-coupled pair reduces the output inpedance by generating a negative resistance?

View Profile   IP Logged
nobody
Community Member

Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2009, 7:01am

I just look around what in my favorites and found that I can answer the question. The extra cross-coupled pair is for neutralization reducing miller effect. More details of neutralization can be found in the textbook by Paul, Gray, and Meyer.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2009, 8:32pm

hi,
   i didn't understand why they did biasing like that..can any body explain ..
Thank you.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
superken

Milpitas, CA
Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2009, 11:59pm

This is a telescopic amp with gain-boosted n-cascodes. The purpose of level-shift circuit is to allow more headroom for the main amp.. Without it, additional Vt will appear in the headroom requirement of the input diff pair. Instead of 2Vdsat, we would need 2Vdsat+Vt to keep input diff pair and tail current source of the main amp in saturation, hence additional Vt reduction in the available output swing.

The progressive sizing of the bottom two triode transistors in "nVreff generator" on the far left is to account for backgate bias for the stacked transistor with size (1/3) to make it slightly stronger than the one below it due to its larger Vt. That's why they got the same Vds = 400mV.

And I agree with the functions of the small cross-coupled pair as explained by the previous posts above.

View Profile   IP Logged
nobody
Community Member

Reply #7 - Mar 3rd, 2009, 10:29pm

I just realized the opamp is actually from the following paper.
A 3.3-V 12-b 50-MS/s A/D converter in 0.6-μm CMOS with over80-dB SFDR

View Profile   IP Logged
nobody
Community Member

Reply #8 - Mar 6th, 2009, 10:13pm

I do not quite understand why the level shifter can increase output swing. The level shifter can set the voltage @ the drain of input pair to be 2Veff and a biasing CKT can do that too. I was wondering why a term Vt comes up without a level shifter.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.