The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 30th, 2024, 12:23pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noise analysis in Hspice (Read 3081 times)
Julian18
Community Member

Noise analysis in Hspice
Apr 29th, 2007, 2:17am

Hi, there
     About Noise analysis in Hspice,
     the syntax is
                  .Noise vnod srcname inter
     now from the syntax, it seems that we must give .NOISE a source, but what if i just want to see the noise at output node due to,say,the channel noise of a MOS, or the noise of some resistors, while igoring all other noise sourses. how should i do
     BTB, what is the purpose of specifying a source to the .NOISE?to get the input refered noise? then since from textbooks(Tom Lee's book ), there are two input referred noise sources--input referred noise voltage& I/R noise current, how to tell which one it is?(since .NOISE just divides the output noise by the transfer function )
     i really screwed up . Can anyone help out there?

thanks.

Julian

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Noise analysis in Hspice
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2007, 4:35pm

In most simulators you do not have to give the source, in which case it simply does not compute the input referred noise. I am not sure what HSpice does, but since you have it you can simply try it and see.

If you specify a voltage source, it should compute the input referred noise as a voltage. If you specify a current source, it should compute the input referred noise as a current.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Julian18
Community Member

Re: Noise analysis in Hspice
Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2007, 6:47pm

Ken Kundert wrote on Apr 29th, 2007, 4:35pm:
In most simulators you do not have to give the source, in which case it simply does not compute the input referred noise. I am not sure what HSpice does, but since you have it you can simply try it and see.

If you specify a voltage source, it should compute the input referred noise as a voltage. If you specify a current source, it should compute the input referred noise as a current.

-Ken

Hi Ken:
    AFAIK, what HSPICE does is computing the total output noise and then dividing  it by the transfer function. so I may guess the computed input referred noise voltage/current will only be different by a factor of input impedance.

Julian.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.