The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 9:20pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
estimation of phase noise contribution of divider (Read 1550 times)
arunm

Chennai, India
estimation of phase noise contribution of divider
May 01st, 2007, 12:24pm

Hello,
    I have an asynchronous, programmable divider chain in my PLL. I would like to estimate the phase noise contribution of the divider noise to the output.
I am currently doing as follows:
I am driving the divider chain with a frequency source and running a PSS + pnoise analysis. The fundamental frequency was set as the output frequency of the divider. My PLL spec has a noise limit at a frequency 'x' from the carrier. So, what I do now is note down the noise (in dBc/Hz as given by pnoise simulation) at frequency 'x' away from the output frequency of the divider and manually multiply it with the relevant transfer function to the output (it will be a lpf similar to ref noise). Is this procedure ok?
I have a doubt as to how much I should set the maxsidebands value in pnoise. Should it be the divide value?

Thanks in advance,
Arun

View Profile arunm arunm_ece   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.