The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 9:19pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: cascode on paper/cadence (Read 10809 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: cascode on paper/cadence
May 14th, 2007, 7:32am

Hi,

your transistor may be operating in the triode region.Also your equation for Av looks wrong (there should be a gm1 there somewhere).

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
.matteo
Community Member

Padova, Italy
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2007, 7:59am

I don't know where my initial post is! but ...here it is!

hi all!
I would like to design a cascode configuration and my target are:
- gain ≥ 20
- Vout DC ≈ 1.8 volt

I calculated some values on paper and I simulated my circuit but the
results are completely different!
my circuit is here: http://www.thebags.it--out-of-date/listing/uni/cascode.png

if I want Vout = 1.8V
Rd*Id = 1.5V; Rd = 600ohm so Id = 2.5mA

if I want Av = gm2 * (Rd//r02) = 20 I have to choose Vov = 0.10V and
so Vgs = 668mV

if I want Id = 2.5mA and Vov = 0.10 W has to be W=1080u

...I set these values in cadence but the risult is completely
different! Can you try to explain me why?
any help is appreciated

thank you (and sorry for my english..)

« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2011, 6:04pm by Forum Administrator »  
View Profile   IP Logged
.matteo
Community Member

Padova, Italy
Reply #2 - May 14th, 2007, 8:04am

aaron_do wrote on May 14th, 2007, 7:32am:
Hi,

your transistor may be operating in the triode region.Also your equation for Av looks wrong (there should be a gm1 there somewhere).

Aaron

I checked the transistors conditions and they are in saturation region (because Vout is bigger than Vov1 + Vov2)

what should the gain be? I thought it was 1 from the input to the source of the upper mosfet and then gm2*Rout..

however I found an error ..I polarized the second mosfet with the same Vgs of the first! but the source of the second is not connected to the ground  :-?

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - May 14th, 2007, 6:54pm

Hi Matteo,

I meant the bottom transistor. The VDS is only 0.047 V. And VGS is 0.668 mV. So the bottom transistor is either in weak inversion, or triode region depending on your VT.

The gain would be 1 from gate to drain of the bottom transistor only if both transistors have the same gm. The cascode transistor has the effect of increasing the output resistance. If you read "design of analof CMOS integrated circuits" by rasavi, I think it shows somewhere how to calculate the gain. It should be something like:

Av = gm1 . [( r01+r02 + (gm1 +gm2).r01r02)//RD]

Anyway if you want more gain you should definately increase the gate bias voltage of your cascode transistor.

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
BERBEREPHONE

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2007, 3:22am

hello has all,
PLEASE you can describe me precisament the operation of my mixer, knowing that transistor OL work in commutation (swith).
the diagram of my mixer is in this image attached
thank you beucoup for you and I awaits your answers!
(excuse my for my english!!)

clip_image002_001_001.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #5 - May 18th, 2007, 9:10am

Berberephone,
    Please do not change the topic of a thread. It is much better to simply start a new thread. Please read and follow the Forum Guidelines (http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/guidelines.html).

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
BERBEREPHONE

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2007, 3:29am

hello with all, good I make a point of expressing you my excuses in worms of deposited subjects one can vagus like it said our moderating friend of the Web site, really I am sorry. good I now ask you to help yourselves in my probème which is: I have mixer with 3 ports and I wanted to make an adaptation by the parameters S, I do not know then how I can modelled or how given the matrix S holding in account of these 3 ports??

I do not know is what I answered your request or not!!!

thank you to help me my friends .

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #7 - May 20th, 2007, 11:42pm

Hi,
If you have the S parameters matrix, the diagonal parameters(S11,S22,S33) are the reflection coefficient at ports 1,2,3 respectively. With these data you can find the input impedance of each port(which is directly related with reflection coefficient). When you have the input impedance you can design a matching network using discrete components or transmission lines(ustrip or coplanar usually). Take a look at:
http://www.sss-mag.com/pdf/AN154.pdf

BERBEREPHONE

Reply #8 - May 26th, 2007, 3:46pm

ok thank you for your answer,
it is necessary that you Mister knows that I work with simulator ELDORF is not ADS this last assistance to found and has to conceive a network matched by using biensur the components, therefore yes really I makes simulatiosn and the extraction of S11, S22, S33 and the impedance of entry but I do not arrive found the network exact. you can find me the network; if you software ADS has; by sending the values of various mésures to you??
thank you Mister for your assistance and I excuse myself for the disturbance

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #9 - May 27th, 2007, 11:28pm

Hi,
I didn't use ADS usually also, but you don't need it to calculate a matching network with transmission lines once you have the impedances. Here's a link for the best tool to design matching networks with transmission lines: http://ieee.engsoc.org/v2.0/resources/smithchart/smithchart.pdf.
As a teacher tolds me years ago:"You won't be a Microwave/RF Engineer unless you know how to use this piece of paper"
Good Luck,

BERBEREPHONE

Reply #10 - May 29th, 2007, 2:41am

ok thank you very much does not worry you my friend the lines of transmissions I do not use them in my case, I speak to you on the passive networks…
to go thank you dear professor  ;)

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #11 - May 29th, 2007, 3:04am

Hi,
Sorry, I assumed that you want a matching with transmission lines. Try this website:http://home.sandiego.edu/~ekim/e194rfs01/jwmatcher/matcher2.html, I've found this web a couple of years ago when I was designing a PCB but finally I didn't use it so I can't guarantee the results accuracy, maybe it could help you. It's pretty easy to use and give you several options to play with,
Good luck,
PS: don't call me professor please, i'm just a grad student.

BERBEREPHONE

Reply #12 - May 29th, 2007, 9:01am

ok thank you very much my friend, this site I breadth already, I will like to know if you have some files with regard to the theory of dual-gate mixer (2 transistors cascode) to provide them to me stp because until now I do not arrive has to include/understand his theory.

thank you and other correspondences my friend has me I am in 2nd year of DESS systems of telecommunications and micro-electronics

View Profile   IP Logged
BERBEREPHONE

Reply #13 - May 30th, 2007, 8:24am

ok thank you, please I will ask you for a solution has a thing: I have a problem with regard to the polarization of my transistors for dual mixer gate (OL in linear zone and RF in zone saturee) for that I use the mirrors of current to make polarize them but I do not arrive has to operate them effective menieres of such kind to polarize transistor LO by a signal close to his Vth, I signal DIDAC that I work with the food 1.2V and in a technologie065nm and with ELDORF. stp if you can give me exactly dimensions of different the values from components (W, L and resistances) has fine to operate my transistors in their zones of operation. mixer thus must work as follows: - transistor OL in top works as switch (linear) - transitor RF in bottom works in saturation I will not forget you your assistance DIDAC and I excuse myself for the disturbance.

I see sending in file attaches the structure of my dual mixer gate

I waits has you answer and your remarks!!

schematics_dual_gate_mixer.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.