The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 4:56pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
join strings (Read 4227 times)
Croaker

join strings
May 15th, 2007, 11:13am

How do you join strings with Verilog-A?

str1 = "a";
str2 = "b";

I want to have str3 = "ab".

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: join strings
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2007, 7:29am

You can't do this presently, not least because Verilog-A doesn't really have strings in the first place.

Verilog-AMS has "string literals" from digital Verilog, which can be stored in "reg" variables (registers) of 8 bits per character, and these registers act as though they are integers.  Verilog-A specifically excludes reg.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
DReynolds

Scarborough ME
Reply #2 - May 17th, 2007, 10:19am

Croaker, as mentioned, the language really doesn't deal with string manipulation: I have found it easier to do my string manipulations in another language (python, perl, skill) and then just dump it into a file that I stitch into the veriloga.

David

View Profile   IP Logged
chetan

Reply #3 - May 30th, 2007, 11:55am

Verilog-A does allow string variables ( plane variables - apart from the registers ) as well as parameters. The string parameters are treated differently than variables. For joining the strings the concatenation operator works.

I've already anwsered a similar post titled ' string variables in Verilog-A'. See if this link works: http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1177696583

That post gives an example.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - May 31st, 2007, 3:47am

chetan wrote on May 30th, 2007, 11:55am:
Verilog-A does allow string variables

No, it doesn't -- it's not part of LRM 2.2.  The V-AMS committee is working to include them in LRM 2.3, based on the definition in SystemVerilog.

Perhaps your simulator has an extension that allows string variables?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.