The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 27th, 2024, 9:12pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sige PA 2423L (Read 2393 times)
Dave

Sige PA 2423L
May 22nd, 2007, 5:11pm

Hi Guys-
 I'm brand new to this forum.  I've got a design for a 2.4 GHz radio that requires a PA.  For my PA I'm using the Sige PA2423L (http://www.sige.com/support/files/datasheets/PA2423Lds.pdf).  I've built and stuffed the board, but am not getting any significant power output.  In fact I have a version of the same board sans PA and I achieve MUCH better power output without the PA than with the PA.  I've debugged enough to say with 99% certainty that the problem is in the output circuitry on the PA (see Figure 1 @ http://www.sige.com/support/files/datasheets/PA2423L_3_1.pdf).  Has anyone here used this part for a design?  If not, can anyone please explain to me why in Figure 1 of the previous URL they've chosen L1 = 1.5nH and C4 = .5pF?  They say that it's a 3rd harmonic shunt, but it seems to me that the LC resonant frequency is tuned to 7.1GHz which means that 7.1GHz is actually passed to the antenna while 2.4 GHz has a path to ground via C7.  What am I missing here?  Thanks a lot!!

D

View Profile   IP Logged
mg777

Re: Sige PA 2423L
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2007, 11:52pm

You are on the right track, but forget the harmonics jazz and assume the PA operates Class AB.

1. Use vendor's eval board in your set-up. Measure the set VCTL on the eval board. Sweep carrier freq to get an idea of the match Q.

2. Check if your PCB RF layer is 10 mil FR-4. Make sure your RF choke is per the BOM - don't use any old SMD inductor. Likewise with the caps. Follow set-up instructions on p 4 of app note. Does the supply current make sense? If still no progress, knock off C4 on your board. Sweep the carrier and see if power shows up elsewhere.

3. For production designs you should use a decent RF design tool (such as Agilent's ADS or AWR's Microwave Office) to design/verify the PA match across manufacturing & component variations. Usually these tool vendors work with the semiconductor vendors to include standard DUT models.

M.G.Rajan
www.eecalc.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Dave

Re: Sige PA 2423L
Reply #2 - May 24th, 2007, 1:27am

Hi mg777-

Thanks for the info.  I don't have the vendor's evaluation board.  I simply used the reference schematic and followed good layout practices in my own board.  Vctl is set to Vcc in my board via a ucontroller's I/O.

My board is 10 mil FR-4.  What RF choke are you referring to?  In their reference schematic I don't see a choke listed...  All my Ls and Cs are murata RF components.  I'm going to try to sweep them on a network analyzer and make sure that @ 2.4GHz they are the correct inductance/capacitance.

I was indeed thinking that I should measure S12 of the PA by biasing the PA with a larger inductor and no C4.  I'm going to try to do that tomorrow, but the equipment is pretty tied up these days Smiley

In general though, am I correct in stating that at the particular values for C4 and L1 given in the reference schematic that 2.4GHz will find a nice path to ground while 7.1GHz will easily be passed to the antenna?  Thanks a lot for your help,

D

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.