The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 8:28pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problem of settling time in SH (Read 1715 times)
Daniel H

Problem of settling time in SH
May 25th, 2007, 7:49pm

Hi,all
   I designed a sample-and-hold circuit. When the design of opamp was finished, i used ideal switch and the opamp to make sample-and-hold. The performance of it can reach my spec: 8ns to 0.01%. But when i replaced ideal switch with bootstrapped switch, the output of S/H appeared large overshoot and the settling time was rised. I was puzzling! What happen to the S/H?     Thanks  
PS: The S/H is flip-around architecture Smiley
Daniel_H

« Last Edit: May 26th, 2007, 4:38am by Daniel H »  
View Profile   IP Logged
aamar
Community Member

Germany
Re: Problem of settling time in SH
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2007, 1:51am

Hi ,
As you said, you are using the bootstrap switch instead of the ideal switch, the main difference will be in the feedthrough effect which comes from the bootstrap capacitance, this means that the signal path will not be carrying only the signal to be sampled but also a part from the sampling clock signal, and the Opamp will sense both instead of one. This causes the overshoot and the longer settling time.

To avoid this, I think you have to optimize your bootstrap switch to reduce the capacitances, and to use dummy transistor to absorb this feed through signal or at least to reduce its effect, but in this case you need NOT(CLK) signal and increasing the BW of the amplifier will be helpful in any case.

Best regards,

aamar

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.