The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 4th, 2024, 3:35pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alternate CAD tools for Analog/Custom IC Design (Read 5804 times)
SRF Tech
Community Member

Arizona
Alternate CAD tools for Analog/Custom IC Design
May 26th, 2007, 12:53am

Hi everyone,
    I have been scouring the internet looking for viable low cost CAD tools.  Currently I am using Cadence, but am looking for a new low cost tool to use for custom analog and I/O design.

Most of my experience has been with Cadence, Mentor and Tanner.  I have also worked with several versions of freeware tools, such as LTSpice (which I like a lot) to name one, and a few layout tools to accompany it.  However what I need is a proper tool suite for some future projects on advanced processes (<90nm) that would make analog design, simulation, layout and validation a little easier to use than piecing together freeware.
I am leaning toward Tanner as my next tool of choice (cost mainly).

What I am looking for are any recommendations members of this forum may suggest as a tool choice to consider.  I know of many tools out there but I have no personal experience with some of them.  Maybe some of you know of a few off the wall tools that have served you well.

I am open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Stephen

Excellence in ESD and IO Design
www.srftechnologies.com
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
mg777

Re: Alternate CAD tools for Analog/Custom IC Desig
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2007, 1:27am

Stephen,

Try the following link: http://www.vlsitechnology.org/html/ic_software.html

I suppose if you are designing specialized structures & have a deep knowledge of CMOS processing, you can 'dispense' with a PDK-based design flow. What about DRC, though? Maybe your designs go through a standard DRC downstream, so it may be OK to use 'non-standard' DRC tools?

M.G.Rajan
www.eecalc.com

View Profile   IP Logged
SRF Tech
Community Member

Arizona
Reply #2 - May 29th, 2007, 8:02am

MG,
 Thanks for the link.  There are a few tools here I have not heard of so it gives me some more research to do.
 Per your inquiry, it is important that I can still use base level verification flows such as DRC, LVS and some extraction.
 Yes, the designs do go thru a flow downstream, but customers do not like it when IP runs into DRC issues in their final assembly.  :(

Anyway, I am still open to any other suggestions people may have for a quality tool.

Thanks,
Stephen

www.srftechnologies.com
joel
Community Member

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2007, 1:08pm

For years I was at a shop that used magic, along with Workview licenses that someone picked up at a garage sale or something.  We made a living with those tools.  I've heard that magic has been revitalized and can handle modern fancy processes.  Certainly worth a look.  I haven't tried it myself, but I'm interested in http://directory.fsf.org/electric.html .

Anyone know a freeware static-timing tool? And verilog?

I'm interested in what you find as well.  I'd like to have a set of tools for home use when between jobs.

View Profile   IP Logged
SRF Tech
Community Member

Arizona
Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2007, 8:46am

Thanks for the pointing to this possibility Joel.  I will check it out and keep this message board posted on what I find.

Even Tanner does not offer a simulator capable of running Verilog/VHDL (that I am aware of).  So if I find something, I will let you know.
-Stephen

www.srftechnologies.com
mg777

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2007, 11:09am

For a Verilog simulator: http://www.zeemz.com/products.php

(Note: I'm not affiliated with this company)

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.