The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 2:22pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to find a operating region of transistor (Read 5438 times)
kiran123
Community Member

How to find a operating region of transistor
May 28th, 2007, 3:38am

Hi Experts,

I am trying to find the region of operation of transistor, for that i am doing dc operating point analysis  and checking the "region" in the printed file , by the same when i check using its terminal voltages i.e

for saturation condition :  vgd-vth < 0 and vgs-vth > 0  
sometimes  even when vgd-vth >0  also the printed information in OP file is showing "saturation"

exactly i don't understand based on what condition does  spectre OP, results this region of operation information?

can anybody share their knowledge on this to help me in understanding

Thanks
Kiran

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: How to find a operating region of transistor
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2007, 5:52am

kiran123 wrote on May 28th, 2007, 3:38am:
for saturation condition :  vgd-vth < 0 and vgs-vth > 0  
sometimes  even when vgd-vth >0  also the printed information in OP file is showing "saturation"

I assume it's not that vds < 0 (and vgs-vth<0 rather than vgd-vth<0)?

What are you using for vth?  The parameter or the OP file value?  There's the parameter vth0, the zero-bias vth that includes STI and WPE, as well as the bias-dependent one accounting for body effect, etc.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
kiran123
Community Member

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2007, 6:28am

HI Geoffrey,

For saturation the Text book or condition says Vgs-vth> 0 (for establishment of channel) next to be in saturation while in conduction it should also satisfy Vds>= Vgs-vth but rewriting for somplicity sake

0>= Vgs-vth-Vds
0>= (Vg-Vs)-vth-(Vd-Vs)
0>= (Vg-Vd)-vth   [after cancellation of Vs effect ]
0>= Vgd-vth

vth is OPfile value but not the MODEL file parameter (vth0)

so to ensure the transistor in saturation based on MOS terminal voltages i feel
it should satisfy   Vgs-vth >=0  &  Vgd-vth <= 0
but this is not becoming true always with what is displayed by simulator under "region" in OPfile

let me knwo based on what simulator shows the "region"

thanks for your support on this
Kiran Kumar

View Profile   IP Logged
mosman

china
Reply #3 - May 30th, 2007, 6:57pm

hi the region is based on the Vdsat(Saturation Voltage):

when Vgs>Vth it is strong inversion

so if Vds>=Vdsat device stay in sat;
   if Vds<Vdsat    device stay in linear;

but the Vdsat isnot simply the Vgs-Vth. it is somewhat complex, for example, carrier velocity, substrate level, and so on.

maybe help you.

View Profile mosman   IP Logged
kiran123
Community Member

Reply #4 - May 31st, 2007, 3:40am

hi mosman,

Thanks for your help now i am able to capture the region of operaions without using "region", what is the difference between vds and vds_sat values from spectre perspective?
from your reply what i understood is vds_sat is depending upon many parameters as you said includeing ids vds =vd-vs i.e Voltage between Drain and Source terminals where which inherently i feel this also depends on ids rite? Undecided

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2007, 1:11pm

The definition of Vdsat is dependent on the transistor model being used.

In the documentation for spectre, there's a whole manual devoted to the device equations for each model - you'll find it in there.

Alternatively, read a book (pretty much any book) on CMOS Analog circuit design. This is a rather important parameter and it's hard to imagine how you'd manage to design any analog circuit without understanding what the saturation voltage is. The Books section of this site should give you a starting point.

I don't know what you meant by "ids rite?" in your post, unless you were breaking the forum rule Do not use instant messaging short hand and meant "right?" (assuming that is IM shorthand - I don't know).

Regards,

Andrew.

Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #6 - Jun 5th, 2007, 8:36am

Vdsat does not depend on Ids; in every MOS model I've seen, the voltages are used to compute intermediate quantities (like Vdsat) and these are then used to calculate Ids, so it's the wrong perspective to think that Vdsat depends on Ids.

When you say that the operating region reported didn't match your expectation based on Vgs,Vgs,Vth, etc., how far off was it?  If it's in the microvolts, then it's not worth tracking down.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.