The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 10:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Equivalent impedance (Read 4240 times)
adesign
Community Member

Equivalent impedance
May 30th, 2007, 4:53am

Dear all,

Please have a look at the attached circuit arrangement.
What would be the equivalent impedance at node N?

Regards,

View Profile   IP Logged
aamar
Community Member

Germany
Re: Equivalent impedance
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2007, 5:40am

Hallo,

In case of an ideal amplifier, with infinite input impedance then  at N one can see approx. A*Z2, which results from the miller effect.

Best regards,

aamar

View Profile   IP Logged
mg777

Reply #2 - May 30th, 2007, 6:23am

It's Z2/(A+1), it's only capacitances that get multiplied by (A+1) because their impedance is 1/sC.

The interesting thing is what happens when we put in a frequency response for A, including the case of positive feedback.

M.G.Rajan

View Profile   IP Logged
aamar
Community Member

Germany
Reply #3 - May 30th, 2007, 8:45am

yes you are right, thanks for the correction.

aamar

View Profile   IP Logged
adesign
Community Member

Reply #4 - May 30th, 2007, 9:05pm

mg777 wrote on May 30th, 2007, 6:23am:
It's Z2/(A+1), it's only capacitances that get multiplied by (A+1) because their impedance is 1/sC.

The interesting thing is what happens when we put in a frequency response for A, including the case of positive feedback.

M.G.Rajan

Could you explain it through circuit analysis?

I did the analysis as given in the attachment and it's coming wrong. Please correct me where I made a mistake.

Regards,

View Profile   IP Logged
aamar
Community Member

Germany
Reply #5 - May 30th, 2007, 11:30pm

Hallo,

according to the assumption which we assumed at first, the input impedance is infinite and output impedance is zero then you should ignore the first part in your current equation because it is zero, remains for you the second term, and as no current flows in Z1 then V1=V, then you can simplify the equation as follows

0+(V1+AV1)Z2= I1     =>   Zeq=V1/I1= Z2/(1+A)

but next time you should not do it this way. It is better to redraw your schematic such that your input is on the left side and output on the right side (the traditional way), then you will notice that there is a feedback in the circuit and as the gain is negative it comes in mind directly the miller effect (then use miller simplification directly rather than calculating). But in your case your forward network is not only the amplifier but also the series impedance Z1, so one should calculate the transfer characteristics of both together at first and this is the case which Rajan mentioned (I made it simpler by assuming infinite input impedance of amplifier) , but it is not always valid, as the impedance is frequency dependent and then you should consider that all these impedances including the input impedance of the amplifier will be different, that is why it is interesting to study the case.

Best regards,

aamar

View Profile   IP Logged
adesign
Community Member

Reply #6 - May 30th, 2007, 11:55pm

That's gr8 aamar. Thank you very much.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.