The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 12:18am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to measure node charge using Spectre (Read 4877 times)
JC

How to measure node charge using Spectre
May 31st, 2007, 3:52am

I just wonder if it is possible to measure it directly or not? I use the CAPTAB option that allows to print the total capacitance on a node during Transient simualtion.

However, I found the value of capacitance is derived by C=dQ/dV in Spectre, so I think Spectre should know the node charge during simulation. And in my case the capacitance is due to parasitic effect and will change during operating. So I cann't use Q=C*V to calculate the node charge.

Is there a way to measure charge node directly? or How can I calculate node charge by knowing node capactiance?

JC

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: How to measure node charge using Spectre
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2007, 9:17am

Please read this thread:
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1172655940/0#1

Next time, use the search function first!

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
JC

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2007, 9:34am

I had read that thread yet, but it doesn't answer my question. So I post again.

And I know how to print the node capacitance using CAPTAB option, However my question is

"How to measure the node charge while the capacitance is caused by parasitic effect and is nonliear?"

JC

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2007, 4:21am

I'm not aware of any simulator that gives you direct access to the node charge.

You can't get Q from C because C is the partial derivative of Q and there's no (easy) way to integrate back.  If you had 2-terminal nonlinear capacitors, you could integrate from 0 to v, but MOSFETs are 4-terminal nonlinear capacitors, and in many MOS models, the capacitance is non-reciprocal, so the integral would be path-dependent: the value of the integral depends on how you get from (0,0,0) to (vgs,vds,vbs)!

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.