The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 9:23pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jitter noise simulation (Read 854 times)
Paulin

Jitter noise simulation
Jun 01st, 2007, 12:15pm

Hi, Ken,
    I got a question regarding your application note: Predicting the Phase Noise and Jitter of PLL-Based Frequency Synthesizers
Ken Kundert (Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc.).
    On page 25, you mention about Metrics are unbounded with presence of flicker noise. Could I know what unbounded means?  

Refer your application:
"
Cycle-to-cycle jitter is a metric designed to identify large adjacent cycle displacements.
It is like edge-to-edge jitter in that it is a scalar jitter metric that does not contain information
about the correlation in the jitter between distant transitions. However, it differs
in that it is a measure of short-term jitter that is relatively insensitive to long-term jitter
[13]. As such, cycle-to-cycle jitter is the only jitter metric that is suitable for use when
flicker noise is present. All other metrics are unbounded in the presence of flicker noise

"

Does that mean when we use edge to edge Jitter, Jitter  is not accurate or at least under some condition is not accurate? Could we trust the simulation result?

Thanks!

Paulin

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Jitter noise simulation
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2007, 1:44pm

Unbounded means that the value has no bound, it goes to infinity.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
mg777

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2007, 12:57am

Why would 1/f noise impact cycle-cycle (adjacent cycle) jitter? Flicker noise is a fractional integrated Brownian walk, so I expect that the total distance of the sailor from the bar shouldn't vary significantly between two steps.

Can someone help me understand this better?

M.G.Rajan

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:44am

I think you have it right. Flicker noise affects cycle-to-cycle jitter only to the degree that it accumulates over a cycle. That is why cycle-to-cycle jitter is a metric that is suitable for use in the presence of flicker noise.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.