The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 10:25am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Career guidance for fresh graduates? (Read 89 times)
topquark
Community Member

Thames Valley, UK
Career guidance for fresh graduates?
Jun 05th, 2007, 2:34am

hello folks!
It's summer time- another batch of EEs graduate across different corners of the globe to start on their careers.
Having been a part of the forum for a while, I really value the opinion of experts here who've diverse experiences in this volatile IC design domain.
As for myself, I'm a microelectronics graduate with analog design major just started out on a job hunt and also have had a quick offer.
Before I jump to make a decision, I thought I'd get some guidance from folks here.

I'd request members to share views 'n opinions on the following points:

1. RF- boom?!!
Well, it appears having RF on your CV is a big plus today!!not to talk about the starting salaries  8-)
But, my RF's just limited to course work. But, do you think starting out in A/MS one can further career in RF?
or, only the other way round?

2. Working in a big company like a Can't tell corp, or jackass instruments (sorry, no offence) versus start-up houses which may boom 'n bust! ...like analog IP providers, fabless design shops that have sprung up everywhere!
it was insightful reading the post by Rajan-
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1171388673

how true is that that one 'grows' faster in a smaller co?

3. type of work: many grads treat the RF/wirleless domain as hot as compared to some instrumentation/control application!
but, how much does the application domain matter when we'll start out designing building blocks like amps, bandgaps etc..which are used in all chips?? (specs will be different, of course)

4. how to evaluate risk-reward ratio : ur learning, ur future prospects vis-a-vis how the company is doing??
Should one see how the stocks 're growing on such. I being the techie, for one, have no clue about these financial aspects  :o

5. Salary vs. Geography:
this's relevant only if one's willing to relocate. Well, since I'm currently in Europe, I'd appreciate if someone threw some light on working in Europe vs. UK/Ireland in general.. and in particular, salary/taxes for fresh grads  ::)
I know this sounds like a topic for a big magazine column, but still..some pointers would help.
Well, i recently founs there are lots of design houses springing up even in Eastern Europe- places like Poland, Czech Republic etc..

Enough for now..

I'd be glad to see people share your opinions, especially the experienced folks..

Appreciate your time!

View Profile   IP Logged
mg777

Re: Career guidance for fresh graduates?
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2007, 7:31am

The risk in giving advice is someone may actually follow it!

Working in a small company makes you wear multiple hats. It's a great experience for the early stages of one's career, especially when gettimeofday() is a function that you never call. You'll also develop good people skills under stress - if your management happens to be the calm & capable type then you'll learn by exampe, else you will learn by contradiction.

A large company teaches you how to 'row well & live', in every sense. Large companies do some things very well - in particular you will learn that the hackneyed terms 'process' is capable of accomplishing big technical feats. A big company today is like a convoy of ships (design groups) sailing through market bombardment - you have to gravitate to a good ship with a strong captain (manager) who can navigate your vessel safely.

Above all, be prepared for change. Never fight change....

Wish you the very best, maybe someday you'll start your own company.

M.G.Rajan

View Profile   IP Logged
zhiyang

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2008, 2:38pm

G'Day All,

So, I have a verbal offer from a start-up to work in Eastern Europe to develop a compiler for analog and mixed-signal (AMS) HDLs, such as Verilog-AMS. This compilker is used in their behavioral simulator for AMS VLSI designs.

I went to college in Adelaide and published papers with the legendary Prof. Derek Abbott, and just graduated from the University of Southern California.

I am deciding to work in Prague, Czech Republic for this start-up, or try my luck in Santiago, Chile with Synopsys... Should I continue to apply for jobs in the US, or bail and work for this start-up in Prague?

It seems like AMS and RF would take off, and more people would use Verilog-AMS or VHDL_AMS to model not only analog and mixed-signal ICs, but also heat dissipation, vibration in mechanical systems, MEMS, and biological systems. So, should I try my luck in Prague, knowing that I may get paid peanuts?

"Electronic design automation is a difficult and highly specialized field. The biggest tool innovations usually start with one grad student devoting his/her entire academic life to solving one problem."
View Profile   IP Logged
Eugene

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2008, 10:18pm

Unless you REALLY like the job, or there is some strategy associated with working for peanuts, I'd take the higher paying job. A low paying job usually says they can hire just about anyone to do it. Of course, you have to account for the cost of living. $10 may buy a lot more in Eastern Europe or Chile than it will in Silicon Valley. You should think in terms of your buying power. I suggest that you take a job that develops skills  that are in high demand, will remain in high demand, and still put in a position to enjoy your work most of the time.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.