The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 19th, 2024, 1:24am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
single input - differential output RF circuit (Read 4566 times)
wccheng

single input - differential output RF circuit
Jun 11th, 2007, 7:35am

Dear all,

Could anyone suggest the circuit for single input and differential output in RF band? Since I see some circuit building block, which use single ended antenna and then feed into the RF chip. In the RF chip, it has one building block for single input - differential output. Then connected to differential LNA.

However, I don't know what kind of the circuit could make a single input - differential output for RF high frequency. Could anyone tell me?

Thanks

wccheng

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: single input - differential output RF circuit
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2007, 9:17am

some ideas would be:

Passive transformer based circuits (i.e. balun) would work at high frequencies (>1GHz) on chip can be used to do the single ended to differential convserion, but are area hungry

An active single ended LNA output can be coupled to a diffential input following stage, where the unused 2nd stage input is capacitor coupled to the LNA output's common-mode level to give a psuedo differential interface.

View Profile   IP Logged
wccheng

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2007, 5:58pm

Dear ACWWong,

Do you have any suggested paper to me for reading?

Thanks

wccheng

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2007, 7:52pm

Barry Gilbert published a cool circuit for single ended input differential output mixer. He coined the overall circuit the "micromixer." The input stage is a combination common base (or equivalently common gate) for the inphase path and a current mirror turn around which acts sort of a common emitter (or common source) amp for the 180 degree path. The 180 split is not completly balanced at RF, but hardly any of the other techniques are either.

The MICROMIXER: a highly linear variant of the Gilbert mixer using a bisymmetric Class-AB input stage
Gilbert, B.
Solid-State Circuits, IEEE Journal of, Vol.32, Iss.9, Sep 1997
Pages:1412-1423

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2007, 12:57pm

If you want to do the single-ended to differential conversion on the chip, you really should do it in the LNA.  Otherwise, you will have to add the insertion loss of the se-diff converter which would be a killer.  Probably a better solution is to use a balun on the board and drive the chip differentially.  If you are doing this for a class, you can design an on-chip balun with a tapped inductor.  I wouldn't suggest this for a commercial part, however, unless you have a really good reason to do it.  Off-chip baluns are far better (lower loss) than on-chip baluns.

View Profile   IP Logged
sandman
Community Member

Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2007, 12:26am

Additionally one could also connect the single ended antenna to one terminal of the differential mixer and connect the other terminal of the mixer by a large capacitance to ground. But of course, you will have to deal with the significant loading of the LNA by the mixer (which is mostly capacitive... and large) at it's input. This way you would only loose 3dB in the signal.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.