The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 19th, 2024, 3:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Single-to-Differential conversion Off-chip (Read 3244 times)
sandman
Community Member

Single-to-Differential conversion Off-chip
Jun 16th, 2007, 3:10am

I've read that it's possible to drive a differential LNA by directly connecting it to a (loop or dipole) antenna or to a SAW filter with single-to-differential conversion, therefore eliminating an expensive balun.

Unfortunately I've not been able to re-trace this source. Would anyone have more information on this ?

I'm trying to keep cost and power to a minimum by using a single-ended LNA (overcomes the need for a balun) and a passive differential mixer, but at the same time I do not want to rule out the differential LNA topology, for the obvious performance aspects (improvements).

Any comments/inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Re: Single-to-Differential conversion Off-chip
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2007, 7:51am

Hi,
A loop and a dipole if feeded at the center are by construction balanced so you can directly connect to them with for example a twin-lead wire(one wire for V+ and the other for V-) but you will find coupling of interferences due to the unshielded nature of this kind of wire that's the cause of the use of coax wire for TV so it's not as straightforward as it seems to eliminate the coax and the off-chip balun.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
sandman
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2007, 4:29am

Thanks for your response !

So you're saying that because it's quite complicated to overcome the intereference due to these straight wires, people usually resort to using the off-chip balun ?

Does this mean that a differential LNA cannot be connected without a balun, assuming I would not want to trouble myself with issues of intereference between the wires ?

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2007, 12:35pm

Hi,
In classical dipole,loop antennas I will say yes that's the cause that people prefers to use baluns(altough antennas are not my specialitzation), another feasible option depending on your operation frequency will be the use of antennas printed on your PCB(I think a kind of it that allows differential feeding is called 'bowtie'), of course you then need to use something like differential coplanar lines(GND RF+ GND RF- GND) between your IC and the antenna(and probabaly you must do the design of the antenna with a magnetic simulator), I also have read some papers that directly they are integrating(or trying to integrate) the antenna inside the IC(but at frequencies above 20GHz due to the area reduction with increasing frequency).
Hope it helps,

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
sandman
Community Member

Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2007, 12:21am

Thanks a ton for your inputs ! They're very useful !

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.