The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 28th, 2024, 6:16am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ring oscillator tuning range (Read 2596 times)
Visjnoe

Ring oscillator tuning range
Jun 17th, 2007, 7:59am

Dear all,

I'm pondering about the start of a PLL design including a ring oscillator. I have read the paper by Maneatis which introduces replica biasing and it looks promising.

I'm however in doubt about the tuning range of such a ring oscillator. For my previous designs (all LC VCO), the tune voltage input could basically swing between 0V en VDD without 'negatively' effecting the VCO, since it would still be oscillating for each tune voltage setting (selecting a valid point on the varactor tuning curve).

However, in the ring oscillator, the tune voltage in most papers is swept between 0.9V and 1.2V for example and over that small region, the whole tuning range is achieved.

But what happens during PLL start-up if this tuning voltage swings anywhere between 0V and VDD? Is correct operation of such a ring oscillator always guaranteed? For example, the replica bias approach uses a opamp using an NMOS or PMOS pair in most papers and for one, the input pair can not cope with any input between 0 and VDD (common-mode input....)...

Does anyone have experience with this? What happens if during PLL start up the tune voltage exceeds the 'safe/normal' operatin region of the replica/tuning circuitry of a ring oscillator?

Kind Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
mash

Re: Ring oscillator tuning range
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2007, 8:22pm

Peter,

I have been working on a PLL design with a similar architecture and have learned quite a bit about it through simulations, and have some observations I can share with you.

Concerning the ring oscillator startup: this isn't an isse with this PLL architecture.  For instance, say the VCO control voltage is referenced to VDD.  Also, assume the amplifier in the replica bias generator is a PMOS diff-pair topology.  So, if the loop starts out such that the control voltage is zero (i.e. it is at VDD) then the VCO output is static.  Therefore the feedback to the PFD is static.  Assuming the reference signal is applied to the input, the PFD will produce large phase-error pulses.  The charge pump will then start charging the loop filter cap toward ground effectively increasing the control voltage to the bias generator.  Eventually, the VCO will begin oscillating and the loop should settle for propperly designed system parameters that control the loop dynamics.  However, startup problems can exist for the bias generator amplifier itself if it is self biased, but there are well established techniques in the literature for this problem.

So, the ring oscillator in this case will be at zero frequency for zero control voltage, and will have an upper frequency limit (at full control voltage) that varies with the number of delay stages and device sizes, as well as PVT variations.  One thing to watch out for is to make sure the upper speed limit of the feedback divider exceeds the upper limit of the oscillator.  Otherwise, if the control voltage is near ground when the loop starts up, I think it could be possible for the VCO to start out at a really high frequency which could cause the loop to "latch up" if the divider cannot keep up with the VCO.  Of course, peaking in the system transfer function can also get the loop into this state if this condition (or other preventative means) is not met.

Good luck!  

View Profile   IP Logged
MonteCarlo

Re: Ring oscillator tuning range
Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2007, 4:45am

Peter,

You've got two things to worry about:

1) PLL fails because the VCO frequency is too low
2) PLL fails because the VCO frequency is too high

Both of these can occur due to divider self oscillation. My general approach to solving this problem is as follows:

1) By simulation, evaluate the range of input frequencies which the divider can successfully divide (some divider designs will divide all the way down to DC so you can ignore "frequency is too low").
2) Design two monitor circuits which flag a VCO frequency too low and too high (you can monitor control voltage or VCO frequency: choose carefully). The monitors must flag before the dividers fail.
3) If the toohigh flag is raised, short the control voltage to zero.
4) If the toolow flag is raised, add a current to the loop filter to charge it. (must be greater than the chargepump current).

-Monte

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.