The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 17th, 2024, 10:51pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
output of sigma-delta modulator (Read 1830 times)
liccams

output of sigma-delta modulator
Jun 18th, 2007, 6:39pm

Hi all:
    I have a trouble in design the single bit fourth-order cascade(2-2) sigma-delta modulator.
    the modulator output is: Out(z)=Y1(z)*H1(z)+a*Y1(z)*H1(z)*H2(z)+b*Y2(z)*H2(z),Y1(z) is the output of
the first two order,Y2(z) is the output of the second two order.the digital error cancelling logic was modeled by verilogA.the clock frequency of sampling is 26MHz.I do 4096 point of DFT,input signal frequency is 107.91KHz(m=17).
    When I use spectre to do transient analysis and then do DFT analysis,the result is unstable.
for example:
    if the DFT setup is from 1.935us to 159.467us, the SNR result is about 83dB.
    but change the DFT setup from 1.935-T to 159.467-T(T is the clock period),the result is only about 40dB,the waveform in the low frequency region is very flat.
    But if I use matlab to analysis the same output date,the result is stable in about 83dB.
    I now fall in trouble deeply,I can't make decision which result I should trust in.cadence or matlab? or there
are some mistake I made? please help me! thank you very much.
    forgive my poor English. Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
panditabupesh
Community Member

Toronto
Re: output of sigma-delta modulator
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2007, 5:46am

I suggest increase the number of points, and check whether you are seeing any harmonics in the psd plot. The SNR drop may be due to the harmonics (getting masked in some cases), and not necessarily due to the modulator being unstable.

Bupesh

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.