The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 3:09am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SNM or Input Referred Noise? (Read 1654 times)
sirous black

SNM or Input Referred Noise?
Jun 20th, 2007, 11:47pm

Hi ,

I have a ckt and am confused over the kind of noise analysis to be done  :-/ Would a Static Noise Margin analysis be sufficient to quantify the noise threshold or should  input referred noise be measured?
I did run an analysis using ADE, but the value for input referred noise is unaccetpably large (in the range of mv/√Hz)!! most docs state nV/√Hz as typical value for IRN.

pic.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Re: SNM or Input Referred Noise?
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2007, 5:28am

Sirous,

I think the confusion may stem from the IRN you are looking at.  In the circuit, the inputs are currents, so an IRN measured in voltage will not be appropriate.  You should measure the IRN in something like pA/√Hz.  That may help.  Also, it looks like your circuit is maybe some kind of sense amp for a RAM?  If so, IRN is probably not the most convenient way to specify noise performance.  You may want to think of the noise as almost a random offset current, since that will help you to visualize it.  generally, in a sense amp, you have prior knowledge of how much the input signal will swing (current in this case) so it isn't hard to specify a 3-sigma noise value.

Good luck,
Carl

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.