The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 4:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to model KT/C noise Verilog-A? (Read 3780 times)
senyou78

germany
How to model KT/C noise Verilog-A?
Jun 22nd, 2007, 2:17am

hi everybody,
I want to analyse and see the effect of switched-capacitor kT/C noise(concerning studies of analog circuit non-idealities delta-sigma modulator),
so I need a module which implement kT/C in verilog-A.
I´m using verilog-A and cadence.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: How to model KT/C noise Verilog-A?
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2007, 6:06am

You'll need to think harder about what you want to do.

kT/C noise comes from the kTR thermal noise of a resistor, band-limited by the 1/RC time constant.  I don't think you can model this as a "noisy capacitor."

And it's also a little tricky to get the noise of a switched-capacitor circuit; you should probably read http://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/sc-filters.pdf

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
senyou78

germany
Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2007, 2:01am

How to add white noise to a model Sad? i want to model the nonidealities of the first order (switched capacitor)delta-sigma modulator,I realized the circuit in verilog-A every module is written in verilog-A except the switch  which is realized with transistor level(because I had lot of troubles with switch model).I allready modeled the non-ideality of the opamp(dc gain,slew rate,etc...),and now I want to implement the oder nonidealities concerning capacitor noise,thermal noise,switch...... Undecided
is there any materials which could help me to anderstand and realize the  non-idealities of D-S modulator?
thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2007, 3:59am

senyou78 wrote on Jun 27th, 2007, 2:01am:
How to add white noise to a model Sad?

Again, you need to think hard about what you're really going to do.  You can add noise with the white_noise(pwr, "name") function, however, that only works for small-signal noise.  I think for a sigma-delta converter, you need to simulate in the time domain, and thus you need to have a module that generates noise in the time domain, eg, generating samples on every timepoint.  I don't know to what extent the simulators that do transient noise do the "right thing" with white_noise() in that context.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.