The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 3:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
baseband IQ (Read 3038 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

baseband IQ
Jun 24th, 2007, 6:35pm

Hi all,

I noticed that most low-IF transceivers provide both I and Q to the baseband section. Is this necessary if image rejection is already done? Assume i'm using a passive poly phase filter and the image rejection is sufficient for my purposes.

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
mg777

Re: baseband IQ
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2007, 7:31am

My gut feeling is the signal dimensionality of each of the I/Q is less than that of the composite.

M.G.Rajan

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2007, 5:33am

Both I and Q are required in a receiver because they employ quadrature modulation.  The I and Q are uncorrelated and indepedent data streams until they are demodulated in the digital baseband.  The polyphase filter improves the quadrature accuracy but does not do anything to demodulate the data.

Carl

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2007, 1:10pm

Hi,
My two cents on this thread:
1) You can perform the I/Q demodulation directly in the digital domain(it's not needed to provide the DSP with and I/Q path, the transformation it's just a multiplication with a sin() and a cos() easily done with C or whetever use the digital processor).
2)If you have a quadrature modulation and want to the demodulation directly in analog domain(less power consumption) you must provide the I/Q path to implement the analog matched filter( a simple correlator), I've seen this in extremely low power applications.
3)Although that it can seem a bit strange it can be useful to provide a I/Q path in the analog domain while your signal it's something like a FSK, if you don't recover the phase of the incoming RF signal your LO can be orthogonal sometimes to the carrier thus losing all the energy(due to effects of the channel,like a Rayleigh distribution common in f<10GHz or so), if you use a couple of Mixers with LO in quadrature you will have in your worst case energy in the Q path and usually you will have energy at both branches(I've seen this in zero-IF receivers and I think it's usual also in low-IF receivers).
Hope it helps,

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.