The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 11:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
High IIp3 amp (Read 5780 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

High IIp3 amp
Jun 26th, 2007, 1:42am

Hi all,

I recently read a paper where the baseband amp used unrestricted biasing to get high IIP3: i.e. no tail current source. The improvement in IIP3 is tremendous. The only problems i could see with the design were:

1) the circuit had no immunity to process variation

2) due to variation its possible the bias point would change and therefore the biasing of the subsequent stage would be affected.

These problems can be worked around though. So is there a really good reason why we would want to add a tail current given the huge loss in IIP3?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: High IIp3 amp
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2007, 3:18am

just realised you need it for IIP2......

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2007, 8:36pm

What was the circuit topology (citation)?
A pair of common source amps isn't that much better for IP3 than a differential pair; however, there are transconductor circuits which are extremely linear over a wide swing range but the noise performance isn't very good.

As you noted, IP2 is an issue and common mode rejection is too if you are worried about substrate coupling.
Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2007, 1:32am

I just double checked...you're right. Actually i made a mistake in the circuit i was simulating. The IIP3 was higher than i expected but not much.

thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
chase.ng
Community Member

penang/malaysia
Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2007, 1:41am

Isn't it the bipolar differential pair will normally have better linearity compared to common emitter configuration? I will think that the same applies to FET circuit also.

chase

Chase
View Profile chase.ng   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2007, 4:16am

well i was talking about IIP3. The reason is because a MOSFET is a square law device so in theory, there is no third order non-linearity. If you use a tail current though, the limiting action of the tail current causes 3rd order non-linearity.

I'm not that familiar with bipolar...

cheers,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2007, 1:52am

Dear Aaron,

here are some other reasons why you don't want to omit the tail current source:

1) PSRR becomes (much) worse
2) CMRR becomes (much) worse

If you want to linearize a CMOS differential pair, you could also use resistors (in the source region).

Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2007, 6:09am

thanks. I find that using unrestricted biasing does wonders for my IIP3 though...I figured that I could follow the amp with a buffer with a tail current to improve the CMRR. Not sure about PSRR though...thanks for your input

Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:34am

Dear Aaron,

placing a buffer with a tail current source after your amplifier (without current source) will not improve your PSRR/CMRR performance, since once the 'disturbance' is added to your nominal/ideal signal, it will proceed through the system (through your buffer etc.) so you can not get rid of it this way.

I have seen this kind of things before (e.g.omitting current sources in CML logic) and it's true, there are some benefits, but PSRR/CMRR are very important when you integrate your macro in a SoC.

Succes!

Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:04am by Visjnoe »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.