The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 3:15pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
thermal noise of MOS in non-saturate area (Read 3226 times)
boris

OK

thermal noise of MOS in non-saturate area
Jun 29th, 2007, 7:48am

In "Design of Analog CMOS Integrated Circuits" by Behzad Razavi, the thermal noise of MOS is I2=4kTγgm
while in "The Design of CMOS Radio-Frequency Integrated Circuits" by Thomas H. Lee, the thermal noise of MOS is I2=4kTγgd0.
If the MOS work in saturate area, we can find that gm=gd0.  So these two functions is the same.  But if the MOS work in non-saturate area, the result is different.  What is the thermal noise of MOS in non-saturate area?

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Re: thermal noise of MOS in non-saturate area
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2007, 7:59am

Hi,
If you look at footnote 7 in Razavi's book he states that in fact is not a gm it's  gds at VDS=0, so in fact gds=gd0. In non-saturate area noise is equal to I2=4kTγgd0, with γ=1, while in saturation γ=2/3(long-channel devices) and γ=2..3(short-channel devices).
Hope it helps,

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
boris

OK

Re: thermal noise of MOS in non-saturate area
Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2007, 6:08am

Thanks to didac.  I didn't see the footnote by carelessness.

There is another question.  As you said, in non-saturate area noise is equal to I2=4kTγgd0.  So the noise should be independent to Vds, which is not agree with the simulation result. (I use spectre to do noise simulation.  The process is TSMC 0.18um CMOS)

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.