The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 2nd, 2024, 10:32pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FASTEST OPAMPS? (Read 2941 times)
pavlosEMP

FASTEST OPAMPS?
Jul 11th, 2007, 7:02am

Hello everyone,

I m a new member here, i just came across this forum, and i find it rather useful. To begin with,
does anyone know, what is the most solid criterion to evaluate how fast an opamp is?

I mean is it GBWP, Slew rate,BP? what?

As far as i know it must be GBWP. And if so, what is the highest GBWP of an opamp achieved today, or some list with the opamps having the greater GBWPs?

thanx in advance!

View Profile   IP Logged
imtired

Santa Rosa
Re: FASTEST OPAMPS?
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2007, 5:43pm

(I am an amateur so please be patient with me if I err in my comments.)

In my mind, fastest means to be able to respond to the input signal and faithfully reproduce it at the output, with or w/o gain.  So I would say that slew rate and BW are the main factors in determining the speed of an op-amp.  The problem with GBWP is, even though you can have a really large GBWP, it does not mean your BW is high, and often is the case where a really large gain (low BW) is required to maintain stability.  Therefore if you have a hgh frequency signal other than a fixed sinusoid, the output waveform will experience distortion due to the early roll-off of a high gain, high GBWP opamp.  You'll also have to make sure that your op-amp is capable of driving your load.

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2007, 6:46pm

Hi,

It strongly depends on the application. It is more valuable to discuss if you specify where the opamp is used, what the input signal is, etc.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
pavlosEMP

Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2007, 6:13am

The deal here is that, i have developed an algorithm to extract some info which leads me to form an approximation of the impulse response of a circuit, which has a non linear out output.

So by considering a chosen input, we can extract an approximation of the transfer function of the circuit.

The realization of such a circuit, is now a matter of selecting the way to make it, and selecting its components.

I personally, am  not in the field of electronics, so all of my colleagues,  suggest that i should try a passive realization.

Anyway i have been for quite a while now to find a solution to this problem but i have understood that this impulse response is very very fast indeed, so probably, there aren't any opamps so fast, at least not in the present time.

In the attachement i give to you my impulse response function.
The pairing of the nominators with the denominators, is entirely my arbitrary choice!

Thank you!

Untitled.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2007, 2:45am

Hi,

It seems that it is easier to implement your impulse response function using digital circuit than an opamp. I guess you want to measure the impulse response of a circuitry and extract the transfer function.  ::)

Probably what your colleagues recommend is right. Just use a passive circuit like transmission line.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
pavlosEMP

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2007, 1:45am

thank you very much for your comments!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.