The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 21st, 2024, 2:23am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
transient noise & NOISE Analysis (Read 2299 times)
paulcktang

transient noise & NOISE Analysis
Jul 17th, 2007, 5:42pm

Can anyone tell me what's the difference of transient noise simulation and NOISE analysis in Cadence?

If I wan to measure the jitter of a oscillator, can I use transient noise to get this approximation?

Thanks a lot!

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: transient noise & NOISE Analysis
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2007, 4:57am

Cadence has a nice white paper on transient noise analysis, if you have access to SourceLink.  They inject random noise into a transient analysis, so it's what you want for jitter.

Standard spice small-signal ac noise analysis is based on linearizing a dc operating poitn and thus doesn't comprehend the time-varying nature of your circuit.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Marq Kole

Hmmm. That's
weird...

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Re: transient noise & NOISE Analysis
Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2007, 8:11am

For measuring jitter transient noise can be used, but it will be very slow because the size of time-steps will have to be in the order of the bandwidth limitation of the transient noise source. For an oscillator a periodic noise analysis might be more suitable...

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.