The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 9:11am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DAC Testing without exercising all the codes (Read 3675 times)
analog2000

DAC Testing without exercising all the codes
Jul 18th, 2007, 10:24pm

Hello,
I am testing a 12 bit dac. I do not have enough memory to exercise all the 4096 digital codes.  It is a segmented architecture. It has a 6 bit R-dac and a 6 bit capdac.
So what I do is to step thru the coarse settings only which are 2^6-->64 codes. I then calculate inl/dnl. For inl, my question/concern is should I normalize the error with respect to the coarse step or should I normalize it with respect to the 12 bit level lsb. Of course, the 12 bit level lsb is lot smaller and gives me pretty bad inl. Is this valid ?

In the literature, everyone goes thru all the codes so their normalization is a no brainer, i.e. they normalize it with 1lsb of the entire converter.

Any comments ?
thanks
analog2000

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Re: DAC Testing without exercising all the codes
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2007, 8:11am

Hello analog2000,
Quote:
Of course, the 12 bit level lsb is lot smaller and gives me pretty bad inl. Is this valid ?
In INL terms, basically yes. If your coarse DAC is bad in INL terms, that's what your overall DAC will be...
BOE

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: DAC Testing without exercising all the codes
Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2007, 11:07pm

Hi analog2000,

Sure you should normalize the INL to 1LSB of the 12 bit DAC. If it is pretty bad, that probably caused by poor mismatch of the coarse DAC. Now that you have not enough memory to handle all the 4096 codes, you'd better measured a part of codes each time. In one word, all codes should be excercised eventually.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.