The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 26th, 2024, 6:59am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
jobs in vhdl-ams (Read 7228 times)
alinalin19832007

roman
jobs in vhdl-ams
Jul 23rd, 2007, 11:46pm

hy evryone

do u know companies that have jobs in modeling with vhdl-ams??????

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: jobs in vhdl-ams
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2007, 4:43am

Check the paper archives at http://www.bmas-conf.org for papers using VHDL-AMS, and see where the authors are working.  Mostly European, I think.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Jess Chen
Community Fellow

California Bay Area
Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2007, 10:52pm

I've noticed the trend for Europe to lean towards VHDL and VHDL-AMS instead of Verilog and Verilog-AMS. Does anyone know why Europeans tend to like VHDL-AMS while Americans gravitate to Verilog-AMS?

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2007, 6:41am

Hi Jess,
I don't know if this is the reason but in my experience here in Spain VHDL is the language that it's used in the compulsory subjects(in free elective subjects Verilog and SystemC are introduced and used) because the labs are done with FPGA's(and when I did these subject I think the vendor's software only supports VHDL,now I think they updated to support Veriolog) because it's an unexpensive method of testing the designs of the students. For what I know this situation is common in the public university system(not sure about the private universities) of my country, is for this reason that unless the student pick up free election subjects to specialize in behavorial description or VLSI many people when finish their studies know only about VHDL as digital description language so I suppose that this propagates also to the industry.  Not sure about the situation in other European countries,although I know people from Italy, France and Germany and  they told me they did more or less the same.

Jess Chen
Community Fellow

California Bay Area
Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2007, 9:28pm

Hi Didac,

Interesting. Thanks for the response.

-Jess

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2008, 1:49pm

Hi Jess,

I believe the choice is mostly left to the lecturer's discretion, i.e. the choice depends on his professional career path. However, I had the impression there was a "general belief" by lecturers that the move from VHDL to Verilog was easier than the other way round, reason why the preferred teaching VHDL. The decision may also be related to the fact that VHDL became an IEEE standard a long time ago, when Verilog was still proprietary.

Finally, I don't have any figures to support the following, but I wonder if Mentor Graphics used to have a larger market share in Europe compared to the Us, which might have been a reason for the success of VHDL over here too.

Paul

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.