The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 19th, 2024, 10:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Insert complex impedance in Spectre. (Read 3848 times)
Mosieur_Oiso

Insert complex impedance in Spectre.
Jul 31st, 2007, 2:20am

Hello,
Is there a way to insert a complex impedance in Spectre Z=R+jX without using caps or inductors? If not, how can I insert a delay line for pss simulation? (simulation always fails when using tline from analogLib)
Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
ponymony

Re: Insert complex impedance in Spectre.
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2007, 3:44am

Hello,

I have also tried to simulate a delay line in pss simulation with VerilogA "absdelay" but with no success.
Error message:

Error found by spectre during periodic steady state analysis `pss'.

The component for_uri_delay is not supported in PSS analysis because it is a behavior module component with hidden states. Components with hidden state are not allowed with

this analysis -- analysis skipped.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2007, 5:26am

Mosieur_Oiso wrote on Jul 31st, 2007, 2:20am:
Is there a way to insert a complex impedance in Spectre Z=R+jX without using caps or inductors? If not, how can I insert a delay line for pss simulation? (simulation always fails when using tline from analogLib)

R+jX is non-physical, unless you're also adding R-jX.  You might be able to use a dependence source with num,den polynomials.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2007, 2:12pm

You can use "mtline" these days in PSS - so you could try that.

As Geoffrey points out, a complex impedance is non-physical, and so simulating that in the time domain would be non-causal - and would present all sorts of trouble for the poor simulator. So you can't directly do it. It is possible these days to specify a port with complex impedance, but there was a problem with doing this in the RF analyses (even in harmonic balance) - I don't know whether this has been resolved yet (I've not checked).

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.