The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 4:32pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Non-autonomous" oscillator simulation (Read 4046 times)
cmc

"Non-autonomous" oscillator simulation
Aug 01st, 2007, 6:51pm

Hi!

I am attempting to simulate the phase noise of an LC CMOS VCO, that is influenced by a switched capacitor network running at another frequency.  For the sake of this point, maybe consider it as an oscillator with a input signal in the topology - hence appearing non-autonomous to spectreRF.  How would you simulate the phase noise of this system?

Thank you!

View Profile   IP Logged
gavi

Bucharest
Re: "Non-autonomous" oscillator simulation
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2007, 7:57am

Hi,

You should try to use QPSS Analysis.

Best regards,
Gavi

View Profile   IP Logged
cmc

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2007, 11:53am

Hi Gavi,
thanks for your input.  Unfortunately, only PSS takes autonomous oscillation as an input.  

My intuitive solution is to do a PSS without the external signal to obtain the oscillation frequency, then add another very small signal sinusoidal input at that frequency to some reasonably insensitive node.  Then run QPSS using the external source and the new small signal source as inputs.  One potential problem here is frequency shifts - pushing/pulling - due to the effect of the external source making the frequency of the new signal source inaccurate, so I'm not entirely satisfied with the solution.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2007, 7:11pm

Treat is as non-autonomous, just like you would with a PLL.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.