The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 7:58pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alarming news about  Wi-Fi networks (Read 4529 times)
AnalogAroma
Community Member

Germany
Alarming news about  Wi-Fi networks
Aug 05th, 2007, 6:44am

Hi Everybody,

Recently I stumbled upon an alarming news about the health-effects  of Wi-Fi networks in the following link.

########################

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/technology/technology.html?in_art...

Children being used as 'guinea pigs' in mass Wi-Fi experiment, warn teachers

The use of wireless computer networks in classrooms should be immediately suspended until an inquiry has fully investigated the health threat to millions of pupils, a teachers' chief urged yesterday.

Philip Parkin, the General Secretary of the Professional Association of Teachers, said that children were effectively acting as guinea pigs because the risk posed by 'wi-fi' networks had not yet been thoroughly considered.

He said scientific evidence prompted him to question the safety of the systems already introduced in 15,000 schools across the UK.

Wireless technology has been linked with loss of concentration, fatigue, reduced memory and headaches. There are also claims that it could increase the long-term risk of cancer.

Addressing the PAT's annual conference in Harrogate, Mr Parkin said: "My real concern is that until there is a full inquiry based on both existing evidence and on newlycommissioned research work, the nation's children are being treated as guinea pigs in a large-scale experiment."

Mr Parkin's demand for an inquiry follows a similar call from Britain's top health watchdog, the chairman of the Health Protection Agency.

Sir William Stewart said in May that a review of the health effects of wi-fi networks was 'timely' amid fears they could pose greater dangers than previously thought.

Wi-fi systems use high frequency radio waves to transmit and receive data over distances of several hundred feet.

They allow users to surf the internet within range of a wireless transmitter and remove the need to connect via a cable.

A typical comprehensive has ten wi-fi transmitters spread around the premises. If a school has thick walls, there may be many more. Children are thought to be more vulnerable to electro-magnetic radiation due to their thinner skulls and still-developing nervous systems.

############################

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Re: Alarming news about  Wi-Fi networks
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2007, 3:24am

Hi to all,
This seemed to be the periodically "alarming news" that happen around the world regularly relation to wireless communications(mobile phones,Wireless LAN...). My thought about this issue is the following: I'm an engineer, I don't have the knowledge to determine if a radiation level is harmful or not, I expect the biologists and the doctors to determine it, then the limits can be fixed and my job is to design systems compliant with the rules. Saying this I must clarify that I'm not against a serious research about long-term effects, but without raising an unnecesary social alarm(usually raised by people who know nothing about radiation). Last I really liked this last part:
Quote:
A typical comprehensive has ten wi-fi transmitters spread around the premises. If a school has thick walls, there may be many more.
, obviously because a thick wall can add somethin like 30 dB of loss to the Wireless LAN...

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2007, 3:33am

Being based in the UK, the "daily-mail" newspaper is infamous for its "alarming news" stories...

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2007, 4:51am

AnalogAroma wrote on Aug 5th, 2007, 6:44am:
Wireless technology has been linked with loss of concentration,

Yeah, it's hard to concentrate on what the teacher's saying when you're surfing or e-mailing from your PDA ...

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.