The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 5:22pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
phase domain or voltage domain of PLL ? (Read 1683 times)
sunrise

phase domain or voltage domain of PLL ?
Aug 06th, 2007, 7:44am

hi ,all
    I am a beginner to the design of pll system . I find that the model of pll is made in phase domain
and voltage domain .  Actually ,I am pluzzed ,what is the difference of the voltage domain and phase
domain
    Thanks for your advice!

View Profile   IP Logged
Jess Chen
Community Fellow

California Bay Area
Re: phase domain or voltage domain of PLL ?
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2007, 8:21am

The VCO reveals the main difference between voltage and phase domain models. In a voltage domain model, the VCO model in steady state outputs an oscillatory voltage. In a phase domain model, the VCO model in steady state outputs a ramp representing the phase of the VCO. In some phase domain models, the VCO model in steady state outputs a constant representing VCO frequency.

In a voltage domain model, the dividers are counters. In a phase domain model, they are gain blocks.

In a voltage domain model, the PFD operates on the edges of the reference and divider waveforms. In phase domain model, the PFD is an error amplifier and sometimes includes an integrator.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.