The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 5:22pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A conflict between noise and gain of my filter (Read 1335 times)
hanm

A conflict between noise and gain of my filter
Aug 21st, 2007, 12:18am

Hi,

I' m designing a complex filter, I found the voltage gain is 3dB.  When I do the noise simulation, I integrated respective output noise and input reference noise over a frequency band and find the integrated input reference noise is bigger than the integrated ouput one.

I use a ideal voltage source as the input, and the ouput of the filter is floating.

I don't know what is the reason.

hanm

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: A conflict between noise and gain of my filter
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2007, 4:12am

noise analysis calculates the output noise. It can also backcalculate the input referred noise, for which it uses the small signal gain at each swept frequency point as the transfer function. So output noise V2 at a frequency is divided by the Av2 at that frequency to get the input referred noise.
So I guess you must look carefully at your gain vs frequency plot over your noise band-of-interest, and check your calculations.

View Profile   IP Logged
hanm

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2007, 6:28am

Thanks ACWWong,

I known the relations. That's why I speak the conflict!

One thing I forgot to point out. My filter is a complex one, which has 4 inputs( I+,I-,Q+ and Q-) and corresponding 4 outputs.  While I setting the  noise simulation eviroment. In the output cyclic field, I select voltage and select just one of 4 paths signal and let the minus one is gnd. In the input cyclic field, I do the same thing.

I wonder to know if the input reference noise is caculated to the only voltage I refered while the output noise is counted all of the 4 paths?

I want to use just one input port and split it into 4 paths signal(I/Q) and group the output four paths into one port to do noise analysis. But I don't known how to do it Embarrassed

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2007, 6:48am

I have successfully designed several complex filters in the past, and haven't seen this conflict you speak of.
I use differential output I and differential input I for the noise and ac response (I also use the technique shown on this site http://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/diff.pdf so you can look at common-mode effects as well).
Doing differential Q should yield the same gain noise response for the pass band.

View Profile   IP Logged
hanm

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2007, 7:06am

ACWWong,

Please help me to check this ideal:

"If the input reference noise is caculated to the only voltage I refered while the output noise is counted all of the 4 paths? "

I will check my design again. It's hard to understand!

Thanks!

hanm

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2007, 8:27am

but you have two channels, I and Q.

So you have two input differential sources I and Q (for ac simulation you can have magnitude for each is say 1, but the phase are offset 90o, then output on I or Q will show the complex filter magnitude response, i.e non symmetrical +ve/-ve frequency, but Q has again a 90o offset from I)
So the noise on the I differential output can be referred to the I input. Likewise for Q, and the results will be the same.

Its best for circuit design to specify the filter figures of merit such as gain and noise for I or Q channels (which will be the same). I don't see why you would want to refer BOTH I and Q outputs to only a single I OR Q inputs ?

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2007, 8:28am

Maybe the output voltage due to that particular voltage source is not 3 dB higher than the source voltage. i.e. maybe 1/4 of the output voltage at that node is from that voltage source (the one for noise) and the other 3/4 is from the other three sources. So when you calculate the TF from noise analysis you get much less than 3 dB but when you do AC analysis you'll get 3 dB gain...just a possibility.

You could use a balun to get differential but i'm not sure if there's anything in the rfLib to get quadrature...

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #7 - Aug 21st, 2007, 8:52am

aaron_do wrote on Aug 21st, 2007, 8:28am:
You could use a balun to get differential but i'm not sure if there's anything in the rfLib to get quadrature...

you just enter the small signal stimulus phase to get quadrature as stated in my last post.

i still suggest the filter is treated as two channels I and Q, the IQ cross coupling is only there to linearly shift the response such that it becomes complex. I'm pretty sure the system design is treating the them as I and Q channels...

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.