The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 3:11am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
constant reference loading MDAC (Read 3531 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

constant reference loading MDAC
Aug 30th, 2007, 7:10am

Hi,

I am looking for a constant reference loading MDAC structure because of  problems with the conventional 1.5-bit MDAC (Please see attached PS).
I am assuming a fully differential arrangement.

If you look carefully, the amplification phase involves connecting the bottom-plate of CS to either +/- VREF or AGND (Common mode reference).
This implies that the load seen by the reference is code-dependent. This can be fixed with dummy cap banks. The more serious problem is that this is a 3-point DAC,
which is not guaranteed to be inherently linear. Any offset on the differential reference levels +/- VREF will show up as DNL.

I considered use of a scheme similar to the one given in the TCAS-II (May 2004 paper) by Yoo, Park, Moon where CS would be split into 2 halves
CS1 and CS2. Now, for +/-VREF, one could connect both halves to either reference, while for providing 0V DAC voltage, you would now
connect CS1 to +VREF and CS2 to -VREF. Thus, only a 2-point DAC is used which is fundamentally linear.

http://web.engr.oregonstate.edu/~moon/research/files/cas2_may_04.pdf

However, this scheme is not symmetric and will result in increased distortion for very small inputs close to zero. This is often a requirement.

Can anyone suggest a scheme which would avoid the problem of having to use a 3-point DAC but which would give good linearity at low signal levels?

Thanks
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: constant reference loading MDAC
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2007, 5:20am

Hi,

Looks like the topic interested nobody. Perhaps I should have not forgotten to add "pipelined ADC" in the title.

Anyway, I did not find any convincing solution for this problem, although I saw some people who use 2 separate
capacitors, one for feeding the input, and one for feeding the DAC feedback. The idea is to increase the number of caps
connected from +VREF/-VREF to the summing node as the DAC code increases. This way, nothing is connected at all
to realize 0 DAC feedback.

However, it is not obvious whether this method does not have a hidden trap which causes the same problems as I mentioned.
It will also have the additional burden of varying feedback factors for the opamp and slightly nonoptimal compensation
as a result. It will also have more noise in general as more caps are connected to the OTA although the net input charge is the
same.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2007, 8:04pm

Hi Vivek,

Sure I am interested in your topic.  :)

Quote:
If you look carefully, the amplification phase involves connecting the bottom-plate of CS to either +/- VREF or AGND (Common mode reference).
This implies that the load seen by the reference is code-dependent. This can be fixed with dummy cap banks. The more serious problem is that this is a 3-point DAC,
which is not guaranteed to be inherently linear. Any offset on the differential reference levels +/- VREF will show up as DNL.

Here I have one question. Normaly I short the bottom-plate of CS if the code decide to connect to AGND. So I don't think that an offset on the differential reference levels +/- VREF will show up as DNL. Am I right?

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2007, 2:40am

Hi Yawei,

Won't it? I was thinking about it but maybe I thought too much and got it all wrong. If you look at the 1.5b MDAC (say).
Now, in the middle segment, Vo = 2*Vin, you connect the bottom plate of CS to AGND. In the top segment to +VR, in the
bottom segment to -VR.

If the differential voltages +/-VR have an offset to AGND of voff, then the step transition going from the middle region to the
side will be changed by this. Normally, you should have a step height of +VR in each case (assuming +/-VR reference).
But it will be now VR +/- voff. This change is equivalent to having some DNL in there, isn't it?

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2007, 4:09am

Hi Yawei,

If you think that the MDAC is always trying to realize Vout = 2*Vin - Vdac, then you can see the problem.
Normally, Vdac should take values { -VR, 0, +VR } . This is a linear 3-point DAC, but if there is an offset voff on AGND, then you realize
{ -VR, voff, +VR }. This is now a nonlinear 3-point DAC, and there seems no way of fixing it in this form.

What do you say?

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.