The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 8:18am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to sim opamp's input referred system offset? (Read 4717 times)
pipeline

How to sim opamp's input referred system offset?
Sep 13th, 2007, 9:32am

Could system offset be determined by simulation? Or just by analysis and hand calculation? Is Monte-Carlo simulation only suitable for random offset?  :-/I'm confused about these questions. Would any one kindly elaborate them? Thanks very much.

learning to walk on the road of analog
View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Re: How to sim opamp's input referred system offse
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2007, 10:39pm

Systematic offset is caused either by asymmetrical circuits or layout. It is therefore
straight-forward to simulate systematic offset with a circuit simulator(using post-layout
back-annotation, respectively).
For random offset you can use monte-carlo simulation assuming your design-kit provides
you with statistical data.

To simulate offset you should therefore add asymmetrics from the layout into your
schematic (at least parasitics, PWE and STI is only required for 130nm and below)
and run a monte-carlo simulation using the statistical data provided by the fab.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
pipeline

Re: How to sim opamp's input referred system offset?
Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2009, 8:24pm

Clear! Thank you very much!

learning to walk on the road of analog
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2009, 12:53am

hi berti,
         i have one doubt in systematic offset, lets say i have an opamp with output biased at 1v and assume now i have connected opamp in unity gain configuration and gave .7 as input, so now offset is .3/(open loop gain) ..is this systematic offset?

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2009, 9:36am

raja.cedt wrote on Jun 21st, 2009, 12:53am:
hi berti,
         i have one doubt in systematic offset, lets say i have an opamp with output biased at 1v and assume now i have connected opamp in unity gain configuration and gave .7 as input, so now offset is .3/(open loop gain) ..is this systematic offset?

Hi Rajasekhar,

That is not a realistic scenario: since the opamp is in closed loop, the input referred offset is equal to the ouput offset / closed loop gain; assuming sufficiently large open loop gain. Therefore 0.7v input referred offset means 0.7v output referred offset, although obviously .
these are not realistic offset magnitudes.

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2009, 6:03pm

Hi Raja,

if you have an op-amp in unity gain configuration, the output should follow the input. So how do you "bias" the output at 1V?

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.